Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wiring

O.K. Kristi. I'll up ya one on the stupid question of the day. Actually I think this might be beneficial to all out there.

What the heck is the difference in automotive wire. While looking yesterday, I found it listed as STX, GXL, GTP, and a whole host of other goofey little abbrevs. Mil-spec. (actually I know this means made to meet military specifications) might work but where do you find color codes for the mil-spec. wires. o.k. I know I'm ramblin here.

What does a guy really need to rewire in terms wire specifications? Outer coating, inner core, temp threshold etc. Thanks in advance to all knowledgeable in this area. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
wiring

I don't know about all those specs, but I have researched wiring harnesses for rewiring the whole vehicle, ezwiring.com has the least expensive. it has 18 fuses and 21 circuits. Cost is about $200. I'm planning to use one of these for my restoration.

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Re: Wiring

dakotaguy said:
...What the heck is the difference in automotive wire. While looking yesterday, I found it listed as STX, GXL, GTP, and a whole host of other goofey little abbrevs. Mil-spec. (actually I know this means made to meet military specifications) might work but where do you find color codes for the mil-spec. wires. o.k. I know I'm ramblin here.

What does a guy really need to rewire in terms wire specifications? Outer coating, inner core, temp threshold etc. Thanks in advance to all knowledgeable in this area. :D
<Putting on my electrician's hat....> Automotive wire usually refers to a stranded wire that has flexible insulation. The diameter of the wire is the gage. The smaller the gage no., the larger the diameter. The letters printed on the wire after the GA refer to the insulation ratings and temp. specs. I try use "MTW" grade wire. (especially when rewiring the last 3 feet to the GT headlights.) MTW is an abbreviation for Machine Tool Wire. Very flexible and durable. Home Depot or any electrical supply house will carry it.

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

O.k that's a start. i appreciate the info. I remembered that I have a buddy who is a consultant for the Marine Corps (Semper Fi!) aviation. He works on the Osprey helicopter. I sent him an E-mail bout the Mil-spec codes. He hasn't gotten back to me but when he does I'll let ya all know.

:D
Save for kid's college or spend er on the Opel?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts