Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day, I was driving and the shifter broke... about 3 inches from the housing... shifted with a stub for a few days, then I heard a rattle in the tranny/clutch...

With the right tools... a motor comes out quick. The 1.1 liter is tiny... the 4 speed transmission is as well.

I am looking to do a complete rebuild on the Tranny, replacing the clutch while I'm at it.

The list inclueds:
a. tranny rebuild kit (gaskets... possibly gears)
b. clutch cable
c. clutch and any other items available to replace while im in there... like throwout bearing etc.
d. oil pan gasket
e. valve cover gasket

f. front tie rod bushings and all rubber in between.
g. keg of guiness.
h. shifter
i. speedo cable
j. gas guage... float

This will put my opel pretty close to perfect... while i have the engine out I will paint the engine bay... so she is going to get a face lift... might also do some minor body work, spray 6 coats and 2 coats of clear.

I am by trade a landcrusier freek and spend lots of time on the related forums, and can tell you almost anything about them... when it comes to opels... well... I love the car... enought to rebuild all this jazz... its a great car. www.fjtoys.com/opel

Can anyone point me to sources with parts for these tasks?

Gracias

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
i dont think they make replacement shifters for the 1.1L tranny. and i think its the same about the speedometer cable. Opelgtsource.com should have everything though.. if not, i have those two items, along with a good clutch cable. hth,
Billy

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Mikesta said:
Well the other day, I was driving and the shifter broke... about 3 inches from the housing... shifted with a stub for a few days, then I heard a rattle in the tranny/clutch...

With the right tools... a motor comes out quick. The 1.1 liter is tiny... the 4 speed transmission is as well.

I am looking to do a complete rebuild on the Tranny, replacing the clutch while I'm at it.

The list inclueds:
a. tranny rebuild kit (gaskets... possibly gears)
b. clutch cable
c. clutch and any other items available to replace while im in there... like throwout bearing etc.
d. oil pan gasket
e. valve cover gasket

f. front tie rod bushings and all rubber in between.
g. keg of guiness.
h. shifter
i. speedo cable
j. gas guage... float

This will put my opel pretty close to perfect... while i have the engine out I will paint the engine bay... so she is going to get a face lift... might also do some minor body work, spray 6 coats and 2 coats of clear.

I am by trade a landcrusier freek and spend lots of time on the related forums, and can tell you almost anything about them... when it comes to opels... well... I love the car... enought to rebuild all this jazz... its a great car. www.fjtoys.com/opel

Can anyone point me to sources with parts for these tasks?

Gracias
Are you 'rebuilding' that too?!! :rolleyes: How exactly does one do that? :p
BTW, I think it's Guinness . . .

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant spell... I think its great when other people point that out.

I am rebuilding the transmission yes... I split it today and took everything apart.... really a simple matrix... not to complicated... I did find some tiny metal shavings in the case... so tomorrow I will inspect the gears for wear.

The reason I cracked it is because I suspected some loose metal in there. I have put the landcruiser project on hold and am going to order as much as I can from people who sell this stuff... or look for another 1.1 litttter transmission to akatch to the motor and rebuild this one when I caan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.