Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,363 Posts
Thanks for the files. I opened them up and played around for 15min. I think I can make it very pretty when i have some time over thanksgiving or something.
GT render.PNG

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
Did I ask already what format the base files are in?

·
Opeler
532 Posts
Gordo, thanks for all those headlight mod pics. Definitely some ideas to ponder. I couldn't quite make out the headlights though on that yellow GT in the field. Could you repost that one please!

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
What format do you need?
The best answer I could give is that I use solid works.
I normally end up starting with an STL file and then converting to gcode.

·
Living in the past
2,320 Posts
Gordo, thanks for all those headlight mod pics. Definitely some ideas to ponder. I couldn't quite make out the headlights though on that yellow GT in the field. Could you repost that one please!
I don't know why they didn't black out that girl's feet, she has sure got some ugly feet

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Unedited pic sent to you in a "Conversation". :)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks for all those pictures.
Several were enough to remove some thoughts I had once I saw them.
I have 2 Top ideas so far that I'm keen on.
1 is to roll the headlights out from the center to the sides if you understand what I mean.
2 is a bit more involved. It would slide the covers into the nose center with the lights solid mounted behind them.

Also thought about a Lexan formed cover to replace the metal with headlights behind and no movement.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well. Having seen Mike's Banana Opel?
I ordered the ESM wheels he has.
Well I'm going with 15x7 front and 15x8 back.
I like a wider tire in the back myself.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your car; your choice. However, IMHO, none of those headlight treatments are ANY improvement over the factory set up, which is REALLY clean.

The only ones that I can even appreciate are the ones with the headlight doors eliminated, and lights mounted below the bumper. All the rest are giant steps backwards. Again, just my opinion.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Flipped down doesn't do a dang thing to increase aerodynamics. Personally, I wish they had just molded them in "eyeballs open". Like a bug eye Sprite. Flipped down, they're just another wedge shaped car, but flipped up makes them quirky and unusual. I mod mine so that I can keep them up all the time by rewiring them to come on with the parking lights switch.

·
Opeler
532 Posts
I like the green GT with the staggered dual lights the best. Removing the light pods and smoothing over that area is terrible looking to me. The GT needs the headlights there and not below the bumper. That retains the style of that day like the Ferraris, etc.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Removing the light pods and smoothing over that area is terrible looking to me. The GT needs the headlights there and not below the bumper.
I hadn't really been able to put a finger on what I didn't like, but yeah, I don't think I like any of the ones with lights completely moved. Looks... saggy.

I liked the square chunky ones cut into the hood even less.

My favorite was the unpainted grey one with the big hollows cut for the lights.

The little dainty lights like the green one has (and others) look undersized to me. Like someone stuck flashlights into the bodywork.

The thing I did like is that almost all of them, whatever they did, at least seemed to fit with the respective look of that particular car. My thoughts were mostly "Oh, I can see what they're going for here... ehn, don't really like it."

Each to their own.

Threads like these are helpful to me because I often don't know what I want until I see what I don't want. Or, I don't appreciate what I like about the GT until it changes, and I think "Oh, put that back the way it was."

I envy people who can take a design and then say "I'm going to make these changes", start cutting, and somehow know that it was going to look okay if they did that. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. I just don't have a vision for what could be different.

·
Can Opeler
3,363 Posts
Flipped down doesn't do a dang thing to increase aerodynamics. Personally, I wish they had just molded them in "eyeballs open". Like a bug eye Sprite. Flipped down, they're just another wedge shaped car, but flipped up makes them quirky and unusual. I mod mine so that I can keep them up all the time by rewiring them to come on with the parking lights switch.
That’s untrue. The headlight up increases the drag coef by around 3-5% AND the frontal area by about 2.8%. That’s a double whammy.
The CdA is increased by roughly 6% maybe a lot more if there is a lot of flow separation.

Here’s a good video showing the effects of typical rectangular pop ups. Ours are quite a bit better because they only protrude about 4.5” and have a smoother profile. But still good info

61 - 80 of 108 Posts