Opel GT Forum banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,729 Posts
Expect to final-size the ID of your bushings to get a good clearance. You don’t want it too tight or too sloppy a fit. I have used the inner sleeves from OGTS for many cars with Delrin bushings but there is always a little bit of tolerance variation. Uppers aren’t too bad but the bell-shaped lower sleeves seem to fluctuate.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Yeah. I've done a few in the past so I'll check all fits.
Mike (V6Opel) says he can't use the ones I ordered from OGTS.
So once I get the dimensions I want?
I'll post them up for free to some one.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
WOW!
The Delrin F is here already! I ordered 2 foot of the stuff just because I have other projects I'd like to try it on.
I went with 1 3/4" diameter to cover those other projects.

What's really crazy is that on December 7th?
One of my Air Guns that was worked on was shipped from Florida and it is still not here!

·
Opeler
608 Posts
I tried the nylon bushings way back in the 90s, can't even remember where they came from and found that the ride was just too harsh for me. I do recall that there are different size bushings depending on the year GT.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,694 Posts
That is the magic of McMaster. I ordered bearings and hardware yesterday at about 3:30-4. Received them while eating lunch at 12:30 today.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Yeah. Going to a harder bushing is not for everyone.
In the Cadillac? I'll stay with stock for it's ride.
I hated the stock front end in my 1st Opel GT. The 75 Trans Am taught me a lot.
So I want that hard front end.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
The Wife told me last night there's a Guy very near me that is willing to help strip the Grand Am GT.
So if we hook up I'm going to offer what is left to him after I rape out all the parts I want.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Control arm bushing arrived so I'll get busy getting the dimensions to make the Delrin F bushings.
First I need to play with my .25 cal semi-auto BullPup air gun that arrived.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Since I don't need the rods that hold in the roof liner I'm trading those off.
Before I do I'm getting good measurements of them as to the arch and any bends so I can duplicate them.
My bender will handle the bends and a ring roller will do the arch.
And Yes. I already have a taker for the rods and clips I have. I'm also looking into a replacement for those clips.
Being such a simple part? I'm thinking a plastic or delrin part would be a better choice.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,987 Posts
I drove several hundred thousand miles over 20 years with the red poly's in the A-arms and hated them the whole time. Squeaked like muthufluffas and rode hard. The lube we have nowadays is better than what we had back then. I installed the new oem style injection molded rubber cartridges that have recently become available again and really love them. Much more pleasurable ride. Poly's everywhere else are just fine.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
482 Posts
I drove several hundred thousand miles over 20 years with the red poly's in the A-arms and hated them the whole time. Squeaked like muthufluffas and rode hard. The lube we have nowadays is better than what we had back then. I installed the new oem style injection molded rubber cartridges that have recently become available again and really love them. Much more pleasurable ride. Poly's everywhere else are just fine.
Are you talking about the standard/original rubber bushings that come with the sleeves and just press in, like its that simple. If so I also decided to go with those as well knowing that the originals did very well in my GT and if these are in fact made of the same rubber material they should last a life time, which has a whole new meaning that it did 45 years ago. Anyway now that I have them I just have to install them and with the recent video it will be a lot easier to do. Looking forward to seeing if the ride improves as the only bushings that appear to have worn out are the lower control arm bushing but since those appear to be the most difficult might as well so the whole set including the spring eye bushings, again in rubber.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,987 Posts
I had a fantastically hard time getting the lower control arm ones in. This was probably due to me powder coating the A arms and refusing to file the stuff out of the holes. The cartridges pushed into the upper arms easy as pie.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,280 Posts
Like the gussets and reinforcements!

Dieter

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
482 Posts
View attachment 432345 View attachment 432347 View attachment 432348 View attachment 432349

My new and improved lower A-arm unifying sway bar mount and gussets

View attachment 432350

Upper A-arms with gussets

View attachment 432351

View attachment 432352 View attachment 432353 View attachment 432354 View attachment 432355

Nice Job. I assume you have a large press - is there a way to remove and install the bushings in the upper and lower control arms without a large press. C clamp perhaps or some other trick besides taking it to a shop and having it done.

Like the gussets and reinforcements!

Dieter

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice Job. I assume you have a large press - is there a way to remove and install the bushings in the upper and lower control arms without a large press. C clamp perhaps or some other trick besides taking it to a shop and having it done.
Forget the attachment above did not come out. Was a picture of a small press for around 60 dollars from Harbor freight but I think it would be too small to do the job.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,987 Posts
I just use a bench vice and various diameter socket wrench sockets and round cylindrical things to press stuff like this. I had to make a carved collar of sorts to get the job done. My stubborness to not file the paint out of the holes bit me in the ass. It all ended up getting pushed and forced out of there anyway.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
A ball joint press you can buy cheap or borrow will do the job on the car.
Off the car there's thousands of ways to do the job.
Off the car? Use the advantage of heat and cold!
Put the control arms in a freezer over night before pressing in the bushings.
Just make sure the Wife is gone when you do this!
She might tend to get a bit upset that the ice cream is melted all over the counter.

As to ride with the Poly or Delrin bushings? It's a matter of taste.
Now I have a 2000 Cadillac Escalade for the whole comfortable ride thing.
It's one I bought from a Southern State so no road salt issues and is a beautiful example of the 2000 Escalade. That is being restored with all stock parts when needed.
(Like paying near $500 to have the fuel pump replaced. A 2000 Escalade fuel pump is not easy to just find.)
So if I want comfort and a cushy ride? I have it. (When the Wife lets me drive it!)

I am after the excitement and handling this GT will bring back from my young and stupid days. The days when I was one of the first in my area to use multi stage NOS systems.
In my area I was the 1st to build and install a 700R4 transmission in a Camaro that could handle that NOS system. That was when the 700R4 was nearly a brand new tranny release.

Years before that? I built a really BAD ARSE '65 Mustang. In one night it out ran the Local Police, State Highway Patrol, and the local Sheriffs department.
They never got near enough to get the license plate and I lost them in less then 5 miles.
I'd built that car to handle and go FAST!
The '75 Pontiac Trans Am I built a few years later was even better!

None of my Go Fast cars were ever intended to be a comfortable ride.
This GT will not please those wanting a comfortable ride but it's what I want not what anyone else wants. My Wife doesn't even have a say in what I am doing with this car.
She has several other vehicles to drive that I keep in good repair so this one is MY CAR!
To do as I wish.

(Please don't tell her I said that!)
:oops:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey Jeff, Had not considered that - recently changed out all of my ball joints, using one of those ball joint presses that you can rent for free at the local auto supply store but chickened out on doing the rest of it until watching that video. So between your and Gordon's recommendation I am ready to press froward, pun intended. No powder coating for me just clean then up and a little spray paint and I will be good to go. Speaking of that video, I am going to purchase one of those compact ball joint removers that worked like a charm and I saw them on eBay pretty cheap.

161 - 180 of 197 Posts