Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
I have ordered the material and the dash I purchased a while ago is set to start making a template for the cutting.

The wood I have chosen is a Burlwood and I will definitely take my time making a great template. After that, I will toss some pics up and the available wood that I can get and offer some for sale.

There is only one question.. Should I cut out the blocks for name titles on the dash? I think I should to keep it original. The silver painted part will still show, I am not covering that up at all. It will be in multiple pieces due to the layout. One for the top part and 3 for the bottom part.

Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
Since he posted this in the 'Manta' forum, I presume it's for a Manta.

I am not sure if Excelsior is talking about a complete wooden dashboard or a dash panel however.

Bob

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks like original sticker to me there. WHEN I get this template done, I will have a total of 5 different woods available to choose from if anyone would like one made. It will cover both the guage part and the bottom part where the dials and adjustments are.

No plans to do radio or shifter area yet.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This would be for the Manta.

My GT is is severe need of some lovin (and cash) in order to be road worthy again. I constantly flip between keeping it and selling it. Selling is a hard decision since i have had this one since 1990 and it was my very first Opel.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
could u post how u perform this conversion like how to make the template and the best way to cut the wood were to get the wood ect. and also how are u attaching it to the dash via screws contact tape etc.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Making a template for the Manta dash is really quite easy. Begin by removing the dash from the car. Remove any empty switch housings that may be left, normally one on each side of the dash. Next use the slightly tacky "shelf liner paper" you find at any store. Don't use regular "contact paper" as the adhesive is more permanant than what you need. Peel off the back to expose the tacky side and then apply the tacky side to the dash. Use a small blunt object to work the paper into all the corners and around the gauge openings. When everything is good and tight use an exacto knife to cut out around the gauge openings and any switch openings. Cut also around the perimiter of the dash so when you are done it looks like the "shelf liner" is your new dash cover. Now the part why you want to use the tacky paper: gently pry up one corner and peel the paper from the front of the dash. If done carefully you will have a perfect template to lay out on your piece of wood veneer to cut the veneer to fit perfectly on your dash front. Total time to get your template should be under one hour. If you want to get a quick fix for your Manta dash, use regular wood-grain "contact paper" and just leave it in place when done cutting around all the openings.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pvcar said:
could u post how u perform this conversion like how to make the template and the best way to cut the wood were to get the wood ect. and also how are u attaching it to the dash via screws contact tape etc.
The hardwood is put into a hot water tank for a few days to soften the material. Then it is then cut into thin sheets with a wood lathe. The cut hardwood is then laid out in sheets. A 3-ton heat press is used to bond the backing to the hardwood. The Special Bonding Method uses a proprietary process. Next, the hardwood is carefully coated with a coat of premium Lacquer.

Then I have it shipped directly to me. :)

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
thanx for the info. i may make one for my gt now that i now the basic process. one more qustion though u said u purchase the wood already lacquerd and such does that company also do the cutting too or do they jus send u a flat sheet and then u have to take a dremel or other tool and cut out the pattern.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
There's another neat alternative 'look' for the dash inlay of a Manta. I have used plastic laminate as the inlay. The nice part is, between all the generic brands (Formica, Wilsonart, Nevamar, etc), you can always find an exact or near exact color match to the exterior of your car. It's a bit tougher to cut out than wood veneer, but I had made a 3/4" fiberboard template, and used a router to cut the piece to size which simplifies the process.

Ironically I have never built a wood inlay dash panel, even though I work at a woodworking shop....

·
Registered
58 Posts
wood dashes

i know this is an old post but i work at a custom furniture shop here in iowa and can make wood veneer dashes the bureled walnut looks best. when i get my car back from mechanic can post pics. easy to install contact adhisive is all you really need.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Contact cement for wood veneer dashes

i know this is an old post but i work at a custom furniture shop here in iowa and can make wood veneer dashes the bureled walnut looks best. when i get my car back from mechanic can post pics. easy to install contact adhisive is all you really need.
. . . OK, so recommend me a good contact cement for adhering wood dashes . . .

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
. . . OK, so recommend me a good contact cement for adhering wood dashes . . .
Otto, we use 'Premier Adhesives PB930' contact cement at my father's woodworking shop. Of course we buy it in 55 gallon drums and pressure-spray it, so I don't know how small a volume it's available in. We use it for plastic laminate and veneer adhesion.

Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts