Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice on the center console of my parts car (1970), that the center console had some kind of wood grain sticker on it. My 71 does not have any evidence of this. I have noticed this wood grain on certain pictures of the GT. Was this standard on earlier models, or did someone just add it later.

Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So am I to assume from the "non-response", that noone but I have seen woodgrain on the center console and that I should know that this is non-standard and probably added on afterward?

·
Registered
1 Posts
bozkm said:
So am I to assume from the "non-response", that noone but I have seen woodgrain on the center console and that I should know that this is non-standard and probably added on afterward?
My first GT (70) had the wood grain around the shifter/ashtray area, right off the show room floor. Most have probably gone by the way side, as I recall, they had a tendancy to warp around the edges, then finally come off.

·
Registered
457 Posts
On the GT I owned back in the 70s I bought the woodgrain stick-on piece as an aftermarket product. I can't, however, remember where I found it. I had the GT for 4 or 5 yrs and I never had any problems with it peeling off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks..so it sounds like 69 and 70s had them..makes sense, my parts car is a 70. My 71 doesn't have one and shouldn't. Was just making sure if I was missing something.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
I believe my 70 model had the wood grain contact like paper/vinyl however I padded both pieces and covered in black vinyl. I am now thinking that the interior is so black that a little change may be a good thing to lighten it up a bit. Has anyone use real wood to replace the material around the shifter and ash tray. Thinking about something about an 1/8 thick - perhaps cherry or Oak with a really nice finish. Thoughts/suggestions/recommendations.......Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
tealcarver made an ebrake handle that was up for sale a couple of years ago. ronskydivespops made the whole insert back around 8 years ago. Haven't seen either in a while. I have both in my Gt, if you'd like a picture, I can provide one in the morning.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I believe my 70 model had the wood grain contact like paper/vinyl however I padded both pieces and covered in black vinyl. I am now thinking that the interior is so black that a little change may be a good thing to lighten it up a bit. Has anyone use real wood to replace the material around the shifter and ash tray. Thinking about something about an 1/8 thick - perhaps cherry or Oak with a really nice finish. Thoughts/suggestions/recommendations.......Thanks, Carl
For those who might be curious as to what some of them looked like, here are some pics.
It is contact paper and it think that it gives a cleaner look at the shifter boot because the boot can seal on the console but plain black vinyl is good but remember many people smoked back in the day and we all know what happens to vinyl when a hot ash lands on it. That's where the contact paper can hide the marks.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts