Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep - that time again. The High Holy Holiday of the House of Speed and Chrome...

Saturday, August 17th is THE Woodward Dream Cruise. Billed as the world's largest one-day car show, folks come from as far away as Austraila to participate. Imagine ten miles of eight lane boulevard packed shoulder-to-shoulder with 1.5 million people and over 30,000 classic,vintage and special-interest cars, and you begin to get the picture...

http://www.dreamcruise.org

Our house is three blocks away from Woodward and 13 Mile. This is 'prime' Dream Cruise territory; the GM, Visteon, Dodge, Mopar, and Eaton exhibits are all within five minutes walk of our doorstep. These exhibits are amazing; each manufaturer trots out the equivalent of a museum of show cars and historic vehicles, like the Aerovette and the Monza Covair. Each year we stake out a section of Woodward for the duration of the day and host an open house for those interested.

We reserve parking for about 10 cars around our house (we have lots of frontage), and typically host 30-40 people. We're close enough to allow frequent trips to the house for your favorite beverage (open alcohol is not allowed on the street) yet far enough away to provide a rest stop between trips.

Our returning favorite 'car dude' is Light 'Em Up Archie. Archie shows up with a bullhorn and stands in the middle of Woodward cajoling cruisers into spinning their tires. He's had all four lanes going at once - no mean feat!

Dream Cruise is 'officially' Saturday, August 17th, but folks begin showing up this weekend to stretch the show. It's amazing to see - I've seen everthing from motorized shopping carts to hot-rod garbage trucks. Not a lot of Opels show, but I'd like to change that! If you like things-with-motors, this is the show to top all shows - the Mardis Gras of the motoring world.

Please respond via email for phone/directions.

We'd love to see you there.

Sincerely,

Chuck Sherman.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

It's a good ten days before the show, and there are already several hundred cars out on the street every night. Did a few loops with Maggie the Opel (gotta post a pix) and saw:

vintage Porsche 356
'58 Healy 100/6
several Ferraris

a whole contingent of highboy roadsters

literally dozens of 'RB' Mopars, and;

More Camaros than I could care to count. Maggie got lots of compliments, although I like the stares she gets as people try to figure out what it is. She wouldn't get any more attention if she had pink elephants stuck to her dash...

Personally, I just like to sit on my back porch and listen to the sounds of vintage hot-rods squaring off as the noise drifts thru the night air. Still - it's something to see as an entire metropolitan area goes back in time...

Ford has agreed to set up a HUGE exhibit this year called the Galaxie 500 Diner. Located between 11-1/2 mile and 12 Mile, the Diner will be a one day event, an will cost Ford several hundred thousand dollars to set-up and host.

The whole schmeer? Free. My kids spend the day going up and down the street picking up the freebies - there's a restaurant near the house that plans on passing out 80,000 free chicken wings, for example, and we always snag the posters and t-shirts folks give away.

Soo...If you're within a day's drive of Detroit - take the time to come and see - it's WORTH it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Monday update...

The kids and I did a a couple of loops Sunday nite in Maggie the Opel. the 'peep-peep' of the horn really compliments the car - we get lots of pointing and waving. After all - if you've seen one '69 SS396 Chevelle - you've seen them all. highlight was seeing a BMW Isetta out trolling the streets, looking for a Go-Ped to race...

We got to see an Acura NSX and a Viper GTS square-off just south of 13 Mile - They went at it from a 20 MPH roll-on - the Viper (kinda looks like a GT on steroids) managed to pull a car length on the NSX to about 70 MPH. Was neat to see.
Sunday nite was kinda lite, with about 1000 cars and maybe 10,000 people on the street. The areas for factory displays are now blocked off and work is beginning. Curbside parking is approaching $100/spot this year - heck, the kid across the street from me sold his entire front yard out at $10 a pop - and we're three blocks away!

Weather looks to be partly sunny and 84 degrees for the Saturday event. A record-shattering crowd of 2 million is expected. I'm tellin' ya - this is the mother of all car shows!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay...It's done and gone.

The DreamCruise truly defies description, so I won't attempt to get it all in here. There is another site, tho...

http://www.autoextremist.com

He sez it well. Got a few neato pix, too!

There were Opels about (in addition to Maggie)

Do make the time next year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts