Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on what to tell my mom about her car. She's got a 1972 GT that she got back around like 75 or 76. She drove it up until she had her first kid, which would be my brother. Since there were more than 2 people in the family now, she thought about selling the car. It kind of just sat around because she couldnt give it up. It sat out in the yard for about 15 years, and got moved from place to place every few years. Here is it, 2004, and she deciedes she wants to fixed up. I got her runnin again, but the body is so bad, I don't even think its fixable. The body would be considered totaled it is so bad. Rusted out floors, rockers, belly pan, fenders, wheel wells. Whats left of the fenders is Bondo pretty much. She is determined this car will get fixed, but she wants it 100% original. Ive told her, she should just get a new GT that is worth restoring, but she wants hers. I have a feeling to fix this up to what she wants would cost well over 5 grand. I just dont know what to say because I dont think this car will ever be that great again... Help me out

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I can tell the way you are leaning on this one, but the truth is that until the frame is gone you can still fix it. Even then there are things that can be done. If she has hung onto it for that long she must be determined. What I would recommend is finding another reasonable body. Something you can get the parts from or slowly convince her to transfer what is good on hers to. I mean SLOWLY if you start talking about scrapping hers right off you are already finished. It would take alot of tact and patience, or you at least have the parts for hers if she won't budge. If at all possible find one the same color and park it in a spot that is easily seen. Also ask constant questions of her opinion on the details of both cars before anything is actually done. As in what to save, what to use, cut what where. If she feels she made the choice you are set.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It sounds as though she's quite sentimentally attached to the car. That being understood, it might not matter what you say to her. I can offer what I just went through this past two weeks.

I purchased a GT for my daughter to drive and while searching for one with an AT came across one that came with a parts car. Having wanted my own GT for nearly 25 years I quickly got my hopes up of being able to restore the parts car for a second GT for myself to drive.

I've done bodywork on cars since I was in high school nearly 25 years ago. I'm not much of a mechanic though and will have to rely on the help of friends and my local mechanic for that end of any restoration project.

After picking up the cars, it took me nearly two days to convince myself, despite my background bodywork, that this parts car is just that....a parts car. It is rusted beyond fixing and would be better served being stripped and put to use towards fixing up another, more restorable car.

The bottom line is simple, just about any car is restorable if you want to spend the time and money to do it. I decided not to restore the parts car, despite it having a good motor/tranny simply because my money will be more well spent in my daughter's GT, adding this or that to enhance it even further beyond how it's already been restored.

It sounds as if she really wants a restored GT and if she has that sort of passion, maybe you could sit down and look at the cost of restoring the one she has, the take that amount of money and show her what she could do with a GT that's already in better shape and what she'd end up with spending that same money there.

Hope this helps and I didn't ramble on to much, good luck.

Claud

·
2,054 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about much more than 5 grand to restore your mother's GT. But that doesn't mean it would not be worth it to her.

I'm thinking maybe $10k might be more like it, especially if she needs to sub the work out.

But still, spending $10,000 to come out with a nice little sports car, especially one that's got sentimental value, is not a bad deal. A new Miata would run at least $25,000. And the new Lotus Elise (that's finally going to be imported here this year) is a shade under $40k.

So to her, 10 grand might be a deal.

Would it really matter to her if her car was the donor car as long as the final product looked & felt like her original?

Does she expect you to do all the work? Or is she using you as a sounding board and for technical advice?

Good luck.

Don't be too quick to find reasons it can't be done. Look for why it can be done. And remember, it's really her decision what to do with her car, especially when she's footing the bill. Unless, of course, its you that has to perform the labor.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
yah no what i would do is find a nice gt for cheap that is the same color interior and exterior and is in great shape send her out for a week on vaca switch over anything specail that she might notice then park ur new gt in the drive way and be like here yah go a restored gt. he he he. its an interesting thought. but how could u lie about a gt.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts