Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm all membered up and now just I need to send my event registration in.

Not sure if Alan will come this year but a few friends will be, and maybe even a few more LeMons cars. I'm hoping to meet Bill Ward and a few of the other people I talked to for the recent issue of the Blitz.

Our LeMons race, at our favorite track, is only a few days after WOS so we'll need to get right back, reset up, then do the 4-day thing that is a 2-day race.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Late today or early tomorrow we get the heads back from the shop. Many thanks to "Snowball's Chance in Hell" Bruce for doing this work for us. Friday/Saturday are engine assembly days and Sunday the Tinyvette get's its motor back.

And wow, we've learned a lot on this one. 11.1:1 compression and pump gas don't get along. Shaving a head too much makes it too thin to keep good clamping pressure on the head gasket. Warping a head is easy enough to fix, unless you've got a cam-in-head motor. That requires a line bore and oversized bearing, which as far as I know do not exist.

We should be back in the 9.5:1 - under 10:1 territory on both motors now, the Tinyvette's and the spare. We are short a cam because Isky has run out of cores and nothing we have would do for a regrind. Even the stock cams we have are worn out and cannot be used. What do you do? Vintage car, Lemons budget, and a whole 2 years experience working on race cars. What could possibly go wrong?

Next weekend is the World of Speed at Bonneville. Besides the car there is still a lot of details to take care of, but still less than last year. The tire/valve stem thing has been taken care of, we already have the drive shat hoop, we have the Lexan windows from last year, I'm getting pretty handy with tuning DCOEs.

Keith is thinking of coming. I need to touch bases with Kurt to make sure he can still drive. I've been offered the loan of a trailer and I need to settle that.

Other than all that, we just load up some tools and not many parts, throw camping gear into the car and truck and hit the road next Friday.

Our event includes up to 6 runs, fewer if we hit our target of 150 mph. ;) That will never happen, so I'll get 6 fun runs. My goal is to break the standing LeMons record of 117.7 mph, set by us last year. ;)

I've offered Kurt a seat if we wants it. He's thinking about it. He'll have his powered hang glider and will probably concentrate on that, and will get areal shots of the whole affair.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Correction on the Snowballs Chance in Hell team reference. Bruce is now with the Duck Dynasty team, but we'll forever remember him for being on the former.

The news from Bonneville today is recent rain. I was told that they actually needed some rain to help repair the track after Speed Week but there is still some concern that it may not be raceable. USFRA will be going out to inspect the course tomorrow and will make a judgement on whether or not they think it will be ready in time for the World of Speed event (Sept 7-10). They seem to be optimistic, and noted that weather-wise the Windover region is odd, that rain can come in and get everything around the lake wet and barely touch the salt at all. I guess that's why the town is named Windover.

Other than that, lots of motor work is scheduled for this weekend and even while that's happening the small stuff is being taken care of, and also the not so small stuff. Does anyone in the Davis/Sacto area have a trailer to loan/rent for a long weekend?

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
And wow, we've learned a lot on this one. 11.1:1 compression and pump gas don't get along. Shaving a head too much makes it too thin to keep good clamping pressure on the head gasket. Warping a head is easy enough to fix, unless you've got a cam-in-head motor. That requires a line bore and oversized bearing, which as far as I know do not exist.
I never bothered to ask you how thick the milled head was. I've found in some extreme cases that the dowel pins in the block deck, and the threads of the head bolts can bottom out. You will have the impression that the bolts are tight and therefore clamping properly, but in fact the clamping force is insufficient due to the head being held off the block's surface ever so slightly.

Certainly worth checking out.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. This block had no dowels in it when we got it. Somehow Bernhard had assembled the motor without them but he did and the motor worked fine, until it didn't, four races later.

When we rebuilt it we pulled the dowels from another motor and used them, tapping them in far enough that the head would sit flat without a head gasket.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Don't forget the head bolts. I've had a few of them bottom out when the head was excessively milled (block and head over .100" combined).

I simply shortened the bolts.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea. I had no idea the lengths of the bolts would be that close to the depth of the holes and threads.

The head we just retired was shaved 0.1 inches (3.890 - 3.910 measured at the corners). I need to check the stroke again.

That retired head had been warped enough that it would have needed boring to straighten out the cam bearings. The shop that just did our work noted the bearing damage and put a rod in there and showed how it rocked, a lot. The previous shop noted the same on what at the time had been new bearings with one hour running time. I had noticed during those builds that it was a little difficult to turn the cam by hand (Actually, I think we need a wrench) but I had thought that was normal. With the current head it turns much more easily.

We warped the head at Buttonwillow a year ago and had it machined flat again but I didn't think it had been warped badly. This head has had a history, however, including Ford Cook's racing, so after a few episodes like this I can see the cam journals getting out of line.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is becoming a (too) familiar site around here.

A rare thunderstorm came up and stopped work for a while. I had gotten everything underneath hooked up and was starting in on the motor's bolt-ons, but by the time the rain passed it was too dark out on the nose end of the car. It should only take an hour or two to finish up this morning, then we start it, hoping for the best. If all looks good, adjust valves, timing, put the wheels on and drive it.

I hope this rain does not continue on to Bonneville.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine fired about an hour ago. Other than valve clatter it sounds good, the gauges are good at idle, A/F rich but good, EGTs good, all indications are it is good.

Tomorrow it gets a valve adjustment, tuning checks (max advance and carburetors), recheck all fluids, then it goes on the road. Yes, it is licensed and insured. I want to get 50-100 miles on it then change the oil before I call it ready to race. Meanwhile, Alan and I will be getting to work on the back up motor.

It's time to reduce the car parts clutter in the house and start the final preparations for Bonneville, like wash my suit, reserve a trailer, fill out forms, buy spares for the trip, etc.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's official. The World of Speed event at Bonneville has been canceled. That rain that came through California two days ago made it to Windover and soaked the salt. Well, that gives us another week to prepare for Thunderhill, and it means that our record as the "World's Fastest LeMon" stands for another year!

Utah Salt Flat Racers Assoc. - Usfra home page

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The test drive went well. The car now has 30 miles on it and is not complaining. A/F is good under full throttle but too rich during normal driving. More tuning needs to be done. Should also bleed the brakes, clean the car, and maybe roll on a little more Rustoleum.

Other than that, it's nice getting reacquainted with the Tinyvette's charms. She's a rough little car, but fun.

Alan knocked off early today. I think I'll use the evening to clean and sort tools. It's getting to be impossible to find what you need.

With Bonneville off the calendar now it's time to refocus on the Thunderhill race. It almost feels like we are ready over a week ahead of time, but that's never true. There's always more to do. Anyway, I'll see you all in the Vodden 2013 thread.

·
2,054 Posts
Bummer. I've been working like a dog to get through this weeks projects so I can take Friday off and drive to Bonneville.

But I'm glad you've got the engine in and its doing well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts