Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year this event got rained out. No way that could happen 2 years in a row, right?

Actually, the date of the WOS event, in September, was figured to give a little relief from the heat at the cost of a higher chance of rain.

Come to think of it, rain ended the 2012 event early.

Anyway, my membership is current and I'll be sending in the event fees soon. Kurt is looking forward to this again and may bring his hang glider. We may also have two high school students with us (one an exchange student from Germany), on sort of a nature/science field trip.

The car is in great shape and I am sure we can beat our 117 mph best from 2012. I plan to do a little aero testing on the country roads near here. Maybe I'll be able to get the data I need for that roll-down test article I promised Blitz readers.

I also plan to meet up with Bill Ward and John Paxson, the duo that ran Bill's GT on the salt for years, getting to about 260 mph at one time. Bill is running an El Camino now, but once he sees our Opel...

There is a small chance at this point that a Car&Driver reporter may be with us. We'll see.

Mike

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
September can be "iffy"

Well Mike, I am again scheduled to inspect motorcycles at both the SCTA-BNI meets: Speed Week in August and the World Finals in October. This my 20th year (out of 23 possible) at Speed Week and I don't remember more than 1 that didn't happen at all (about 3 more were ended early). October, on the other hand, is much closer to 50/50. The ones that "hurt" are the ones when it rained after inspection opens but before the racing starts! I have heard that the little airport south of Woodland has a good surface for coast down testing! (But you didn't hear it from me, just a rumor that early (really early) some guys have "heard" motors.)

Salt fever is a really contagious disease! :yup:

Doug

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In 2012 I created a "notes" document for myself and others coming with us. It includes, dates, times, rules, etc. I just dusted it off for 2014. It's a draft right now, especially the schedule, since the official 2014 schedule is not out you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I finally got caught up on writing and paid work yesterday and can finally get back to getting the Tinyvette ready for Bonneville.

Gil gave me an door a few weeks ago and I am prepping it. Today, sanding and bondo, tomorrow primer and paint. Decals have been ordered (made locally) and will be installed next week, after the big Sacramento parade on Saturday, which I will try to get the car into. Can't miss a chance like that for some exposure. Plus, our fans...

Over the weekend I redid the spacers for the rear quarter windows. They'll be easier to install and the windows (Lexan) will be flush with the body. I plan to redo the door windows (Lexan) as well, coming up with a better mounting technique and one that has the windows flush with the exterior body.

The rear window (Lexan) is good to go except that the silvery film has started to peel off. It is not necessary, but it helps keep the inside of the car cool. I might put that film on the rear quarter windows, too.

I'll figure out a way to block up the front of the car for better aerodynamics. It might just be a set of ABS strips that I can screw to the air dam. The longest strip would block the whole lower air intake, shorter ones only parts of it. I'll keep the nostrils open.

I've learned that lead-acid batteries can short and catch fire if the plates break, which could happen if treated roughly. We treat our battery not so kindly, so it will get swapped with a gel-cell. I wanted to do this before Buttonwillow but time and money...

The car has started making a rattly noise when started and while cold. It sort of sounds like what Keith described for his car. Hopefully the header is not broken. Will check everything again.

The engine is good to go. It runs a little rich at Davis elevations (about 50 feet) and should richen up bit more at the 4000+ feet of Bonneville. The car has an A/F meter and EGT gauges, and I'll bring jets, so retuning should be, well, not totally guessing.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Door progress.

It takes me quite a few tries to get the bondo right. I had to stop last night because using power tools in the driveway at 8 PM will not make you any friends with the neighbors, and I need to have those people on my side when I make some real noise.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
I should loan you my carb/ intake/ header combo for testing purposes. :)

·
2,054 Posts
Nice job. Nice look. It's lookin' like a real screamer now.
Bonneville remains on my calendar.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Well, as long as you are talking top end, how about throwing in the bottom end, too?
It's the top end that's the business end! Need the head work and camshaft to really make it sing...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ I was just being greedy. ;)

I made a little progress today. The door is now yellow.

Inspected the rear. All is clean and tidy there. Sprayed primer everywhere anyway. Everything is getting paint in anticipation of the Bonneville salt.

The battery is in back, too. Is that too close to the fuel tank? I looked into getting a gel cell battery, plus a spare, but holy-moly, $200+ each!

I took off the rear bumpers and am assessing the damage from a minor hit and an over-enthusiastic push-truck from the Sonoma race. I'll probably paint the bumpers black when they go back on.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Bonneville?

Hi all, I'm here at Bonneville for Speed Week. Really busy today as all the motorcycle inspectors spent most of the day sitting around the pool drinking shots of tequila and bottles of beer. The salt was under about 6 inches of water after rains yesterday (Wed) afternoon (complete with sleet and hail) and a much larger storm in the early PM hours. From the end of the paved road, there was water as far as you can see (and that is some distance!) and in every direction across the salt. People camping in the local campsites in the hills above the lakebed said there was water out to "floating mountain", about 12 miles from the road. The mountain usually floats on a mirage, so water out there means really wet! Better weather (warm and windy today) coupled with a favorable weather forecast has led to a guess of "Inspect on Sunday and Race on Monday" instead of the scheduled Thursday/Friday inspections and race on Sat. Yes, August does get rained out! I'll try to keep you appraised. -- Doug

PS - Isn't the spider with the hourglass a "gal" rather than "guy"?:ugh:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've also found quite a few of those guys down by me. Luckily, they are pretty harmless unless you actually grab or step on one

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard about the rain. Phil Greden, a feared LeMons judge and inspiration, is there covering the race, if it happens.

WOS got rained out last year.

Yea, gal, but I was using guy in the sense that a gal can be one of the guys, or how women, say, on a soccer team, can refer to themselves a a bunch of guys.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've also found quite a few of those guys down by me. Luckily, they are pretty harmless unless you actually grab or step on one
I get that, but I don't want their numbers increasing. I've been finding too many lately to want to stick my hand under the bench to get a part, etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Spiders & other S...stuff

Out here we have another lurking neighbor....Scorpions
In Doug's workshop I saw a live one he caught in a pail.
This week there was a dead scorpion over 3 inches long in my daughter's garage.
Sorry, no photo.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Scorpions on a Stick

What to do with all those scorpions ? Mike .. this might work with spiders also.
This was posted on a photo site by friends from CA now living in China.
I couldn't find this site's FOOD section so put it here. Yum ??

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 48 Posts