Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The replacement door is in. It took some cutting and pounding and bending using my jack handle as a lever but now it fits. The door was a little bent, and car may be a little bent, too.

Decals are coming, Five decals should net us an extra 25 hp.

We now have a matched set. We have enough now. There's no need for anyone to help us make another.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We, actually, the SCTA - BNI Board, really busted a$$ trying to figure out a way to pull this one off! On Saturday AM, I was in town trying to get as many motorcycles as possible inspected before we got on the salt. M/C inspectors split into 2 man teams and roamed the various parking lots in all sections of town, looking for bikes to inspect. It takes 2 inspectors on any new bike or any bike that exceeds 200 mph so teams of 2 was the best way to go. The "car guys" were doing the same. Then the phone ran and I got to tell everyone in my part of town the "news". I got out of town about 2:30PM and headed home (at least part way through the 700+ miles I was driving). I just can't even begin to feel what the Brits I had been working with were feeling. One couple told me they had about $10,000 involved in the trip and at their age, there probably wouldn't be time to get the money together for another! I have always believed that whoever it was that said "Mother Nature is a BIT%*" was really understating the case!

Good Luck with the WOS! -- Doug

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Several of the Facebook posts on Speed Week are praising the efforts of the SCTA people who put so much work into getting the event set up then hustling to make it work in spite of the first rain. "Hug and SCTA volunteer" was mentioned a couple of times.

Hoping for good weather for WOS.

Finished fitting and installing the passenger side door window (Lexan). Last year's method was pretty feeble and this year I had time to do a better job. It took a lot of trimming and fitting but now it is flush and snug.

Here it is easier to see how flush it is at the bottom.

End of the day, if only because it's past 9 o'clock at night.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Check out the legality

Mike, I'm not a "car guy" but there was a LOT of cussing and gnashing of teeth a year or 2 ago about the windows on a GT6 and the way they were mounted. Sorry, I don't have the details, but I do know one of the participants (and it wasn't pretty). IIRC, it was because they were mounted flush instead of against the "rails" which held them in place normally. The question was about the part in second paragraph of Modified Sports where it states that the "contour" of the body aft of the cowl may not be modified. There was also some question about "sealing" gaps? The people protesting the smooth window installation were claiming it did. The guy with the car produced several pics of other cars which were done as you have, but the protest continued. I can give you a contact number for the owner if you want to follow up with him. PM/email me for that. You might also shoot an email to the committee head with a picture of what you are doing to get a written approval before you get to the salt! USFRA has their own inspectors, but the record certifications are done by SCTA people. The car is beautiful, hope I can see it up close next time I'm in Woodland! -- Doug

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the tip.

Our rear and rear-quarter windows will be mounted the same as in 2012 but the door windows will be moved out. I think it looks pretty secure but will check with the tech folks to make sure.

Our event is for street-legal cars, not land speed record cars. We're not running in the SCTA GT class, rather in the 150 MPH Club event the USFRA folks run as a side event at the World of Speed. None of the aero rules of the GT call apply to us.

Still, checking with the tech folks in advance is always a good plan.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
With barely 20.5 days remaining before the start of the World of Speed event I still have time to make final adjustments but won't be waiting until the end like last year. As noted earlier, the car is in great shape and I'm just refitting the Lexan windows and taking care of other minor issues. I'll also start the build on our back-up motor soon. We definitely do not want to miss the Guinness's World Record-breaking first time 5-miler Thunderhill race.

The news from Bonneville is that they are monitoring conditions there. More rain came through recently but things are looking OK. I figure if we get more clouds passing by here a week or so out then there is a good chance Bonneville will get rain that could ruin WOS weekend, so I'll be watching the skies here.

With Speed Week canceled due to rain many of the teams are signing on for the WOS event. That means, crowded, with the entry list growing like crazy. Fortunately, we are not running in the "real" land speed races so hopefully that won't effect us. The only possibility I see this affecting us is if they have to divert resources to the LSR event.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Kurt is still planning to come and crew, and I believe Keith is, too. My nephew Kai and German exchange student Jen plan to take time away from school and come as well. It'll be great to finally meet Bill Ward (raced an Opel GT on the Salt for years) and to see driver Rocket Man John Paxson again. And of course, there is the standing LeMons land speed record that we need to beat!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I spent the whole day with the finance guys here at Team Tinyvette Corporate Headquarters. Lots of frustrating back and forth. They are complaining about the costs. I asked them how much they thing racing should cost. Is $2,500 a race really too much? They said we spent too much on unnecessary things. I reminded them that I sleep on the ground next to the car or on the trailer at each race and the rest of their team gets their own room, tent, or camper, and that any proper team would have sprung for their housing AND meals. They got stuffy and pointed out that we aren't exactly winning races. I smacked them around with over 150 other teams aren't winning either, that we are punching well above our weight class and winning hearts and minds, and besides, winning isn't exactly the point of all this. That last one confused them, so they tried another approach, asking if I would rather have all that money spent than the racing done. I had to think about that one for a second, seeing as I am nearly broke. I'd love to have all that money back, so I could go racing for another 5 years!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Quote:

How to make a small fortune at auto racing?

Start off with a huge fortune.

I think it was John Mecom who said that.
Another favorite quote of mine: "If you have to ask the price of a new Ferrari (or old Opel), you can't afford it!" Race it "til the wheels come off, then race it a while longer!

Good Luck Mike -- Doug

PS - I haven't seen it here yet but "Speed Week at the World Finals" is scheduled!
SCTA - Home Page

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Bonneville is one week out at this time. Keith will have to miss this year but will be crewing for us at Thunderhill the following weekend. Kurt will be bringing his truck for the tow, a diesel F250. You hardly know the trailer is back there. He may bring his hang glider again to get some aerial shots again. Kai (nephew) probably won't come. He's gotten pretty serious about school and doesn't want to miss anything. Jan, the German exchange student, may come. So that's the crew.

There are still a few little things to do to the car. All of the Lexan windows are in and lots of other tidying up was done prior to the IndyCar thing. Soon work will be shifting to preparations for Thunderhill. This weekend the spare motor finally gets assembled. It'll be ready in case we need it. We have an engine test stand but there is now way I could run the motor, and make all that noise, in my carport.

High cloud are heading for the Salt Lake city area and rain is expected in Salt Lake. The track is currently dry with water at the edges. The USFRA folks are monitoring the situation.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sunday, 69°F in the morning and rising to only 98°F today. Not a bad day to work on the car.

A typical Sunday morning at chez Tinyvette.

I finally finished fitting the windows. Getting the bottoms of the door windows taken car of was last.

Took care of and I think I finally solved the riddle of the upper a-arm control shaft problem (getting loose). The a-arms came off, got a good cleaning, relubed the bushings and put it all back together.

There's only some really minor stuff to take care of before Friday.

The trailer has been reserved and I have a crew and tow vehicle. It's almost to the point where I can throw stuff in the truck and go.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Woke up this morning and there was still more work to do.

I re-lubed the front suspension (turned the concave washers around) and inspected the undercar carefully and sprayed everything that looked like it might rust with paint.

I found that the leaf springs had been rubbing the back side of the cross-member's channel. Is that normal?

I also discovered this:

Strange. The hood definitely is not doing that. Maybe the air whistling through?

That all took only a couple of hours. Zep will be over later and we'll adjust the valves and put the windows back in. Tomorrow morning the car goes on the trailer.

The spare motor is half ready. I stopped late last night after gapping the rings and putting them on the pistons. I might be able to do more on that later today.

They are already tech'ing cars at Bonneville. Racing starts on Saturday. The lines for the land speed record course should be pretty long with all the Speed Week folks coming.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hey Mike, If you see the guys in a metallic blue streamliner, #919 or a big motor bike with a red and checkered b/w paint job (his number changes with the different classes he enters but should have a "930" somewhere {1930, 9301, etc}), tell them that "Doug says good luck!" I did the aero design on both of those vehicles and it bugs me to not be there. Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Will do, and I'll look for them. In 2012 I barely had time to wander around and look at the other cars but I'll figure out a way to do it this time.

Zep came over to help today and now the car is almost ready to go on the trailer for Bonneville. The windows need to go back in and the car needs a little cleaning. I'm switching from build mode to transport mode. Totally different mindset. Tool sorting, parts packing, battery charging, camera cleaning, wash the smelly race suit that has been lying around since Pacific Northworst. Also, now is when I start playing the game, "What will I forget to do/bring"?

Kurt will be here in the morning and we'll load up and go. He's bringing a powered hang glider and will attempt another foot launch at Bonneville altitudes, which is not easy. He managed it in 2012 and got some great areal shots of the cars, the pits, the track, everything.

The news from Bonneville is that the track is in great shape and they are already tech'ing cars.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thanks Mike! BTW, Dave and the blue streamliner live in Woodland (and he is the guy who was rumored to have tested at the "nearby airport" - but can't say for sure :yup: ). Randy lives in Idaho. -- Doug

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just a quick note before I fall into bed.

For this event we get 6 runs, we took 4. I also though it was a 2mile run, like int eh past, and part way through teh event I figured out it was a 3-mile run.

Our first run was a 105. After that we inched up in speed to 109 then 111.6 mph, then 111.4. With nothing more to gain and the line being so long, (several hours between runs) we figured 4 runs were enough.

Yes, we were slower than in 2012, but then that motor didn't make it through three runs. We figure the main difference this year is a 9.5:1 motor compared to the 11.5:1 motor in 2012. The first run, the 105 one, involved using 5th gear. Once at our regular shift point in 4th I thought, why not, see what happens. The rpm dropped from just over 5500 to 4200 and stayed at 4200, right at 4200, for over a mile. We gained 1 mph in that mile (mile number 2). Obviously we don't have the power to push 5th gear at those speeds. For the next runs I stayed in 4th and rpm rose only a little higher. In 2012 I was able to get to 6000. Again, for the last mile, the third mile, I gained only 1 mph. The car ran great. A/F was good all day and the EGTs got to 1400°F only for a few seconds at the end of the third run.

The Tinyvette is now back at home safe and salty. It will get a good cleaning tomorrow, then next day, and the next. The next day we pack for Thunderhill.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Photos

A couple of photos. More can be found on our Facebook page at -- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...01133400711.1073741844.192201637460668&type=1

Queued up for our first Sunday run.

This is a VW Beetle.

Us again. I like this angle for the photo.

Black Salt Racing, based on a Triumph Spitfire. It blew it's motor, went airborne, came down on its wheels, spun, scatter debris everywhere. Still, a beautiful "car".

The morning commute.

Bill Ward's El Camino

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Mike, Glad you had a good time, but. And this is not a knock, what the heck?

With all the stuff you have, and stuff you did. Why are you so slow?

I know GT speedo's are not that accurate, and the tachs are notoriously unreliable, but I've done better than that on the Interstate in Texas.

I didn't have three miles either.

Or all that aero stuff, but I suggest your gains there are slight, because a GT is a slippery beast to start with.

Is it the extra weight in your car, of the cage and all those cameras? Or is something wonky with your combination, IE: cam, gearing, tire size, whatever?

I'm sitting here scratching my head, because I figured you would have been at least eight, or so MPH faster than that.

Oh well, it is what it is, and like I said, this was not intended as a knock.

But just for the heck of it. When you do your post run, and the next pre race inspection, you might want to check throttle travel, and see if it opens all the way.

Cause something just don't add up.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts