Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Opeler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i just had the worst day of my life.

I went out to start my car to go to work this morning and all that was left of it was a pile of glass. :( . I have no idea who could have done it, but they did. . . they stole my opel. I guess all i,m asking is that if any one in the seattle washington area sees a blue opel ascona with a white manta front end and a red passanger side fender, let me know. I appreciate any help in finding my car and if you see any like mine for sale post a reply so i can open a can of whoopass on whoever is selling it.

P.S.
I would post a picture of my car but the disposable camera i took the picture with is in the glovebox of my car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They broke the window? obviously amateurs.

Wouldn't one steal a car like that just for joy riding? If you wanna sell it, you steal a car someone will buy. I'm not sure that makes it any better, if it was me i'd rather have it sold to some guy that might enjoy it than have a bunch of spoiled brats ram it into trees, but well the first place i would look for it is a junkyard or wherever they put wrecked cars when left on the road.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your loss.
I agree with Sven. Though we love our cars, they aren't worth anything to car thieves or chop shops. Plus someone who any interest in selling/parting the car could have popped the lock in seconds with a slim jim. Have you pissed off anyone in your High School over the years?
I would have to expect a joy ride or revenge. Teenagers can be brutal.
IMHO

·
2,054 Posts
Stolen Opel

I too, am sorry to hear someone stole your car.

For other Opel drivers, here's how my son & I handled his GT security when he was in high school.

If there's nothing in the car, don't bother to lock it. Just make sure you don't carry you insurance or registration in the glove box. Unzip the back of the seat, and make a storage space for papers.

Replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric pump. You can purchase the blank from Opel GT Source for a coupla dollars.

Operate the fuel pump through a "factory" switch in the dash. That factory switch can be for an option that was available, but your car doesn't have. (like fog lamps) No car thief is going to take the time to screw around flipping all the dash switches. Stay away from under-the-dash toggles 'cause they're too obvious.

Jumping an Opel is a cake walk. With a carb, the thief will have enough fuel in the bowl to get out into traffic and run a block or so. When it dies in the middle of the road, he'll bail out. The cops will get a hold of you 'cause your car is blocking an intersection.

Use a club.

This will eliminate joy-riders and thief-of-opportunity.

For someone whose got serious cash invested, check out low-jack.

Anyone else have a favorite method?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Anyone else have a favorite method?
I have thought of making some kind of fire cracker set off switch to go off when someone takes the plastic cover surounding the ignition lock. its a bit cruel and would be nasty to clean after.
sorry, if i'm being too violent, but when you've experienced the sickening feeling of being robbed you feel like doing things you never thought you could.

Hope you find your car in fine condition, and even better, catch the guys who took it, just don't kill them.

ps. apart from joyriders theres people who just need a ride somewhere and have no money, i was in a similar situation when i was in a foreign country, late at night, lots of old check cars parked, complete silence, no cab money.. i thought which of these rust buckets will take us home tonight offcoure it was only a joke, i would never steal a car.

·
2,054 Posts
Car Thief

I've considered using a pager as a remote kill switch. Farming and other industries use them to operate valves remotely.

Attach to a control device, have it kill ignition or fuel (fuel's the way I would go). If you realize the car's gone missing, dial in your pager number. If its still in the region, it'll die.

I haven't actually done this on a car, but relatives in the HVAC engineering business say it could be done rather inexpensively.

I've always liked that scene in a James Bond movie (For Your Eyes Only??) where some guy smashes the passenger window on Bond's Lotus, and the whole car blows up. Its a strategy of security I like to refer to as "If I can't have it, you sure as hell don't get to have it either."

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i love my little trick i have an electronic pertronix unit installed in my car, what i do so my bro who i gave a set of keys to cant drive my car when im away for the weekend is i jus dissconect the wires that go to the coil and push them underneith some other wires so when he goes to start the car he wont be able to get it started. anthor thing i was thinking of doing wus integrating a micro switch into the heater control plate so that u would have to push the heat lever all the way to hot to depress the micro switch witch then would allow u to start the car and once the car was started u could the adjust the heat back to were u want it. i found lo-jack even though it is good system and they have a very high recovery rate i still dont think in the long run it would be worth the money no matter how much cash u have into ur car. also one ohter good thing to do is to engrave the vin number in very wierd places like i engraved it on the inside of the plastic shell which is on the steering colum. well hope u can find ur opel.
car thiefs are assholes in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
man, sorry to hear about your opel. I always have dreams about my opel getting vandelized at school because i will have to park at the public park lot which doesnt have cameras (senior lot does) but i saw a 360 degree rotating camera that goes on your dash that looks like an orb compass it triggers when your car alarm goes on and it films 5 minutes of black and white on a zip disk type thing that can be hidden any where. I think i saw it in the back of popular science.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no word of my cars whereabouts yet...

I dont care who took it anymore, i just want it back with straight a strait body. I actually graduated high school in june so i doubt it was some high school prank, but i can still hope cant i?

even if the rims and stereo are gone, i dont care. . .ijust want to get it back without it being totaled.

Man i loved that car.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
do you have any body's of water around you:( thats what happens with stolen cars here, right in the river.

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
I had a cheap 'security' measure on my old Toyota pickup. Since I had cut the roof off, making it a convertible, I simply took the factory clutch pedal switch (i.e., must depress clutch for vehicle to start), and relocated it under the driver's seat. It was a momentary switch, so I'd reach under the seat, and depress the switch while simultaneously turning the ignition. Otherwise, it wouldn't start, and as a result I could leave the truck anywhere with the top off.....

Just an idea.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
jeez I can remember what car has an ignition switch in the gas pedal linkage so you turn the key to the on position and push the gas pedal to crank the engine. I want to say its a 73 buick rivvy but im not sure.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Jordan: i dont think cars that new had that feature, but i know alot of the old buicks and oldsmobiles did, my 51 and 52 packard are like that....turn key on and push the pedal to the floor

·
299 Posts
hey thats all cool but i have a momentary switch that has a ring that says fog lamps on my blazer that starts it and i have a hidden fog lamp switch
i have also thought about using the switch in my old cruise control to start it is it dont work
my dad says his friend had a 6ft wide and 3 foot dep hole with a piece of looped re barr in it that hes chained his opel to in the 70s

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
"my dad says his friend had a 6ft wide and 3 foot dep hole "
i can think of 1 use for a hole that big if they ever find who took it

·
Registered
25 Posts
After reading the Posts and of your stolen GT, I thought I'd pitch in a few cents as well.

I'm going with Wesat Coast GT part way. That is, I'd use the club too, but you'll have to wait until they catch them!

Seriously, several Posts are right, most likely joy riders and water is a great place to ditch it later. It sounds way to obvious to keep very long...Sorry.

Otherwise, The Club, or similar device, is a good way to go, and DO lock you car but keep anything of value out-o-sight. And, keep the front tire turned as far right, into the curb, as possible before you lock it up.

As for any hidden, or camo'ed, switches, good idea if it doesn't do anything to cause a short, thus a fire. Some guys do some wierd wiring, then find their car in flames.

Anything that is not easily defeated, should cause a thief to take more time than he's willing to commit. These guys, and kids, can be in and gone in no time at all. Just delay them enough, and make the effort to let them see that it will, and they'll likely leave your car and head to another target. Joy ride or not, they don't want caught.

None of this helps, Robert, I know. But we all hope you get it back and be driving it again soon.

(I had mine solen back in 1971! Okay, so the guy bought it from me really cheap....But I feel ripped off now!)

·
Opeler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They found it!!

its christmas eve and i got a call from a tow company, they found my car!

but why did it get towed? i told the police not to impound it when they found it.

oh, turns out the cop that took the police report typed my phone number into their computers wrong so they kept leaving "we found your car!" messages on somebody elses phone! i wonder how long it was sitting there from the time it was found to the time it was towed.damn cops!

I havent actually seen my car yet but i am a little nervous to get it back. I called the guy a the tow yard and he said a couple windows were broken out and the body is all "dented to sh!t".
it is also full of water since its been sitting in the rain for 2.5 months, and my rims were taken. oh get this, they found it about a quarter mile from my house sitting behind an abandoned building, go figure.

i walked over to the place where they found my car and the jack that was used by the theifs was still sitting there, along with a peice of my custom airbox. upon closer inspection it looks like their are fingerprints in the grease on the airbox from when they yanked it off. I left that stuff there for the insurance company. that peice of the airbox concerns me though because if they went under the hood they most definatley took my msd ignition and most likely my carbuerator.

All i can do now is wait for the holidays to be over, so i can wait for the insurance company to go take fingerprints, so i can get my car back, hopefully in good enough shape to fix up, instead of having to "junk it"

well happy holidays! :) ill post pics as soon as i get my car back.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
CONGRATS!!! thats awesome that they found your car. Just prepare yourself when you see it.....I can imagine for me it would be like identifying a body at the morgue. But hey its got to be better to have it back in any condition other instead of not getting it back. MERRY XMAS

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Christmas cheer

Here's a big Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all from my family to yours! Happy Holidays!! :)

A special Christmas wish goes out to TeenageOpeler. So sorry to hear that your car was stolen and parts removed. Don't let it get you down. With your talent and drive, nothing can stop you from accomplishing what you want. Let the burden of what those those scoundrels did be on their back. Don't let those negative feelings play a part in your Holiday Cheer. If I have a part that you can use to replace what they took, let me know and it's yours. Most of my stuff is for GTs but a lot of it is interchangeable. Just drop a line. Merry Christmas.

·
Riding Low
65 Posts
worst day ever

Well, losing your opel,,,sorry to hear,,but my worst day may make yours look better,,,and realize that you can get another opel,,mine was that i was out camping and fell down a 20 ft. revine,,,i broke my arm in 5 places and crushed my skull in on the side,,,,i am doing alot better and my arm is healed,,i am still waiting for the dr.s to put my head back together,,,(and lost my N.H.R.A. lics. for 2 years for them working on my brain) almost losing your life is nothing like losing your opel,,,so stick with it and it will work out,,i have learned that anything is posable,,,,i wish you good luck and if i can help in any way i am sure that every one here will be pulling for you,,,,and here is a pic of my head,,,,,,,,ravn

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts