Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I started off on this forum a few months ago when I acquired my manta a. Ever since I bought i fell in love with them, even more so, the manta b. I was wondering if anyone is/knows of anyone selling one here in the states. I have checked with importation companies to see what I could get for a price to have one imported but they have high importation fees. Thanks for any outreach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ron thanks for the info! That car in your reply has been sold as far as I know. I had stumbled upon that ad before. I may very well just import one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Company I was speaking too said that they typically run about 7k in good condition and it would be close to 10k in final price with importation/titling fees.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
They are getting fairly expensive in Europe as well because good ones are getting fairly rare. Not exactly sure what happened but I suspect that between rust and being a fairly popular car to modify there are fairly few good stock ones left or something and the ones you really want, the GT/E or GSi has been cannibalized for parts almost since they were new to upgrade Asconas with such things as Recaro interiors, FI engines, 5 speed gearboxes and rear axles with LSD, options that were never available/popular on the Ascona. For a nice GSi, which really is the one to have as it had all the desirable options, you can expect to pay up to 10k dollars and Germany is the place to look for them, there and possibly Sweden. Most everywhere else they seem to have gone the way of the Dodo.

Did I mention that they rust ? Pay extra for a rust free example, they rust in places you wouldn't believe and especially if you get one with a sliding sun roof

·
Opeler
20 Posts
ive got a 2 door ascona b I imported from Germany in 2006. ive owned the car since 2001 the ascona is a 1978 that was bought new by a 79 year old man(still have german paperwork) car does have dings and dents but is rust hole free(there is surface rust) ive got a lot of spare parts ie original engine radiator interior(car has a 2.2l fi engine at moment.) the interior in the car is a black velour manta b luxus interior. all mods are bolt on
I do not have original small rear end(car was a1.6l N carbed) it now has a 2.0l fi from a manta b
car is jamacia yellow

im in north Carolina .
I have not registered the car in this state yet.
do have the registration from the military

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Its best to buy a Manta B that's already been registered domestically, because in some areas a late 1970's car not only has to pass tight inspection rules but also may need certification of being federalized. Cars imported via military programs may carry a special exemption.

·
Opeler
20 Posts
im pretty sure once a car is 25 years or older, you do not need to meet federal standards,ie safety. now emmissions maybe another thing, but downhere in nc once a car is 35 years old, id does not have to be inspected
California is another whole ballgame

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,435 Posts
Yep.. being 25 years old even cars that were legally here but couldn't get titled can do so now. Rules really loosened up about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To import a car to the USA, the car needs to be:

- At least 25 years old to comply to the US DOT for "Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards. Check #1 on form DOT HS-7,
and:
- At least 21 years old and have the original or identical original-replacement drive train, to comply to the US EPA for Air Pollution Regulation (as of code "A"). The form is EPA 3520-1.

Why different ages for two different agencies in one country? Because they are two different agencies in one country ... :yup:
If the two regulations above are adhered to, you are good to go to get the car imported and registered. Don't try to cheat, US Border Protection is checking the car, and will put it in the crusher if you cheat.
Whether you need an emissions test for your registration depends on local laws from your State, County, City.
I have just helped to export a car to GA, so I'm not guessing with these facts.

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
Yep.. being 25 years old even cars that were legally here but couldn't get titled can do so now. Rules really loosened up about 5 years ago.
Unless you live in California, then don't bother. Even if you jump through the hoops they will still say no. CARB sucks and the DMV are in cahoots with them.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,435 Posts
Hmm I know owners of Monzas, Manta Bs, and more in California and that was in the 90s under the more strict rules.. :/

I also assume you could buy it and title in another state and then bring toe California and title.

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
My Senator was imported directly into CA in 1984. It was made "DOT Compliant" by a company there. 1 1/2 inch angle iron added behind the bumpers, Toyota side markers , and unleaded fuel only stickers added. Not sure if the Catalytic converter was added or if it came with the car. It has compliance stickers on the door jamb and glove box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts