Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,017 Posts
Does anyone know anything about this car, it's history, etc? It's been on and off of ebay a few times now over the past few months.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163780156189?_trksid=p2471758.m4703

Thanks
The guy that had it, Jim Norris bought it from up north somewhere. I sold him a factory air cleaner for it and such, but he just mainly buys and sells Opel GTs. I replied to your other thread and you may try to check with Gordy about his

·
Pedal Smasher
2,121 Posts
It looks to be a pretty good condition. There are some parts that aren't original but returning it to factory condition shouldn't be too hard. It's also a European spec 1.1L GT and unless it was converted to this spec, that would make it even rarer. The vast majority of the production was for the US market and less than 4,000 1.1L GT's were made, 3,573 to be exact. This car hasn't been added to either online Opel registry so we don't know the build date. If the build date was late enough, it could realistically be one of the 1970 1.1L GT's, which only 38 were built. 1968 only had 12 built, and these would probably have a split bumper. Finding a '68 1.1L would be super rare.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do wonder what happened to the radiator box. Fortunately the one I have on the 1970 I bought with the 1100 drive train is in good shape.

I'll need to do some more 1100 specific research for other things. I've heard they had 1100 on the back panel, etc and other subtleties... and then even subtleties between the US vs Euro models

I believe he posted the VIN. 1881176 are the last 7. Don't they follow the same start # for year that the #94 vins did?

As much as I want a 1.1 I may sit that one out. It says that it was restored at one time. It,s definitely a repaint. Unfortunately I can't visually inspect it myself and I don't want to spend that $$$ only to find that I've got to pull it all down anyway to correct things, especially colors. The back panel, being painted black, would already need to be corrected.

At that point I'd rather just go into the most solid bodied project example I could find already knowing that it needs resto and start and spend much less.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's close, but it should be late 69. 70's show to start with 1888818.

I would love to own any example of a split bumper. I would highly doubt there's a surviving example of a 1.1 though. The ultimate of GT rarities.

4,231 Posts
It looks to be a pretty good condition. There are some parts that aren't original but returning it to factory condition shouldn't be too hard. It's also a European spec 1.1L GT and unless it was converted to this spec, that would make it even rarer. The vast majority of the production was for the US market and less than 4,000 1.1L GT's were made, 3,573 to be exact. This car hasn't been added to either online Opel registry so we don't know the build date. If the build date was late enough, it could realistically be one of the 1970 1.1L GT's, which only 38 were built. 1968 only had 12 built, and these would probably have a split bumper. Finding a '68 1.1L would be super rare.
By the VIN 931881176 that GT is a late 1969 or verry early 1970 GT.Anyway it is a 1970 Model.
The Car is a European Version,so it have no VIN plate on the dash also not at the driver door.The Vin is stamp in in the groove in front of the wiper motor plate. Between the two red arrows I marked on the picture. The VIN it self looks * 931881176 *. The digit rowe is stamp in from driver side to passenger side.So when you read it you look to the front of the car.
The whole interieuer is swap from European to USA GT-AL specs.New OGTS parts complete!
Btw.The door stickers from ProGT are perfect also in the perfored letters, 100% exactly:cool:

Attachments

·
Pedal Smasher
2,121 Posts
I've checked an Opel GT collision guide which says 1970 GT's started from chassis number 1859814. The classic opels registry lists 1892645 as the first 1970 model 93, with 1888818 being the first 1970 model 94. I'm inclined to believe the registry, as I don't know the source for the info on the collision guide. It also started too close to the previous chassis number for '69. So, I'd say this GT is a late '69. Still pretty rare being a 1.1L European spec GT. The Euro spec GT's didn't have the rear side markers, the front had dual purpose driving and indicator lights instead of the amber lights, and had a km/h speedo for the major differences. There were also some different colors offered and Europe had a very plain interior for the 1100 GT's. A really good way to know if this is an original 1.1L would be the speedo actually. A European 1.1L would have a W634 speedo and finding one to put in a Euro-spec GT would be pretty difficult. I have a W1020 MPH speedo, which according to some research says it's the correct speedo for a US spec 1.1L GT. I have no idea why it's in my '73 GT, which should have a W1062 by all indication.

The early GT's did have 1900 and 1100 on the rear of the car but you can get these today. They did them in black and red, depending on the year and I can't remember what color went to which year.

4,231 Posts
The early GT's did have 1900 and 1100 on the rear of the car but you can get these today. They did them in black and red, depending on the year and I can't remember what color went to which year.
On the rear panel, 1100 never show up.Only the letters OPEL.
Maybe in Kentucky they show up "PEL" when missing the "O":lmao:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hmmm... thx for the speedo info. It will be interesting to look at the one on the 70 I have with the 1.1 drive train in a moment.

Still, I'm 99.999% sure someone shoved that 1.1 in a 1.9 chassis. For the life of me though I can't figure why someone would have done that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ROLMFAO!!

You know, of all the things I noticed on that yellow one, I completely missed it not having the rear markers!!

TURHUR!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Speedo from the '70... W-1062

Interesting to note that the car also has '73 doors on it too...

Auto, let me know if you feel a speedo trade on that 1020. I could sweeten it a bit if necessary. Other original parts I may have or a few extra bone$.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's starting to sound like this car was built from two or three donor cars. I've seen a couple of GT's built this way, some good, some not so good.
Yup, I'll know more once I start stripping that one down. All three of the rust buckets I got from that Missouri batch have serious, serious issues. I thought about just stripping, selling what I could and scrapping the rest of the rust dust, but my son wants to see what we can do to resuscitate them. "Gangrene too extreme" is how I'm fondly referring to the '72 we're starting with first. It has the most rot and issues. Don't know why that pic is rotating on me after upload.

Anyway, that one may be beyond help. I'll know more in a few weeks when it gets some soda.

Attachments

4,231 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hmmm... thx for the speedo info. It will be interesting to look at the one on the 70 I have with the 1.1 drive train in a moment.

Still, I'm 99.999% sure someone shoved that 1.1 in a 1.9 chassis. For the life of me though I can't figure why someone would have done that.
Maybe it was done because the 11SR is a sporty and rev happy smooth running engine with a broad powerband.:) Larger valves, porting and a free flow exhaust with a header and it can make +80hp and still be streetable. And since it has a forged crank, it can be welded for a little bit more stroke and an be over bored a millimeter or two to increase the displacement to 1,3 or 1,4 liters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I was wondering about the aftermarket/homemade air plumbing people were talking about on it. I have the stock 1.1L GT air plumbing set up too. If I do happen to get that yellow one then I'll have a spare now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe it was done because the 11SR is a sporty and rev happy smooth running engine with a broad powerband.:) Larger valves, porting and a free flow exhaust with a header and it can make +80hp and still be streetable. And since it has a forged crank, it can be welded for a little bit more stroke and an be over bored a millimeter or two to increase the displacement to 1,3 or 1,4 liters.
Interesting on the power extract of the 1.1. I'll have to learn more. I was reading the 2.4L thread and my thought has always been balance on that large of an I-4. Porsche of course employed the Mitsubishi balance shaft design on their large displacement I4 engines to help smooth those.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts