Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the word I'm temporarily losing the storage garage I've had for over 20 years. Some city code that says residents have to have off street parking for two cars each. I only have a one car garage where I live, oh well. And don't ask about temporary;) Any way the plan was to put my blown GT engine in the back of my van and bring the van home for a while, then put it back in storage. So I was going to take the monza over to the van, bring the van back to the house, pick up the cherry picker, put the engine in the van, bring the cherry picker back to the house and go get the monza, leaving the van in the garage until I had to vacate the garage. So, I checked the master cylinder in the monza, I've been having to add brake fluid more often lately, the master cylinder was leaking externaly, O.K. change the MC, I have a spare. That was yesterday. Today, I drive over to get the van, the battery is dead, no problem, I've got really good jumper cables and starting fluid. The van lights right up, swap the van with the monza, drive home, back into the drive way, shut down the van, and the battery went south again. Loaded the cherry picker, got the van started, moved it out of the driveway and the rear brake line on the differential blows out.:mad: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

There, I feel better now. Kinda, I'm still waiting on the exhaust manifolds so I can finish Phase III Thanx for letting me blow offf some steam.

Ron

For icing on the cake, the starter rope on the lawnmower broke, fixed it, had a replacement, noticed it was getting frayed. Filled up the gas tank again, had to empty it for the starter rope, and the fuel line developed a leak. Can I turn in this day for a new one??

Ron

·
Registered
92 Posts
rough day
Hope things pick up

Damn city codes i had a similar problem a while back
Except mine was on my drive way and i had to get it out of site.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
here in palso verdes as long as its in ur drive way and u have a decent cover over it 95% of the time no one will really complain.thats what ive found atleast.

·
2,054 Posts
I understand why we need these laws and restrictions, but damn, sometimes they go too far.

Our CCRs for the development says we can not have a non-running car in our driveway. And, get this, we are not allowed to have a car in our driveway unmoved for 3 days. Even if its registered, operable, insured, and has tags!

We've got six cars. If I go on a vacation, I end up with notices on three cars by the time I get back.

Sorry, I shouldn't unload on this, it pales in comparison to Namba's situation.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to agree with that one. My neighbor got ticketed today on his 55 Chevy. They say he hadn't moved it in 72 hours, but I saw him take it to church on Sunday. I had the same thing happen to me in my van, even though my neighbor told them I had driven it the day before. I had to go to court, showed the judge an invoice from 10 years previous with the mileage from the odometer, it was the same the day I went to court, the speedo hadn't worked for 15 years. Case dismissed. My GT has been sitting in my driveway for about 7 months, when I started the engine swap, it's registered as non-operational with 96 tags on it. So far code enforcement says it's o.k. as long as it looks like it can run? even though I told him what I was doing. Go figure. If it was that bad here, guess what would happen when I go to the 4-day dog shows about once a month.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
This is why I don't like, and don't live in a subdivision with "rules"
I was extremely lucky, in that, when I did buy my house, the two neighbors, to one side, are old Studebaker nuts. (Bob & Ray, and yes, these two are characters, just like the originals LOL!) On the other side of me is a kid with a 1/4 mile Mustang (which I wish I could watch blow-up in his driveway) My sister lives in such a community, and I would get the feeling that if I lived there, that every time I'd open the blinds, there'd be a "officer of the community" standing there peering into my house.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I just moved from one neighborhood with rule to another one, this past year.

Our prior rules stated that no recreational vehicles, of any kind, were to be parked in our driveways for longer than three days. We had one neighbor that parked his boat in his driveway and the way he got away with it was, every weekend, he went fishing. Wednesday, was take-the-boat-to-the-carwash day.

So, he could never be pinned down to having it sit there for the three day period.

I guess there are ways around every rule and ways to pin somebody by any rule.

I seem to be the one being pinned all the time.

I was told, two houses back, by the city, that I would receive a ticket for having my GT parked in the grass next to my driveway. We had just moved into this house and were still unpacking and there was no room in the garage. I parked my GT along side the driveway to get it out of the way of all the moving and other vehicles. I had backed it in and the driverside wheels were touching the driveway. However, the City rules stated that any vehicle not parked on concrete, asphalt, or gravel, would be ticketed. Since the majority of my car was on grass, it was eligible for a ticket.

Side note: a few years later, I graveled a pad on the side of the house, same side and parked a recreation trailer and there wasn't a thing anybody could say because it was on gravel. Go figure.

I think I've vented enough here too. Good luck to you Namba. Been there too!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take a look at the photo of our driveway. The privacy fence went up as soon as we bought the house in August.

Sharon & Oliver
Kennesaw, GA (where you gotta own a GUN!

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Sharon R.

Very nice picture. All GM vehicles!!!!

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I grew up in So.Jersey and lived in So.Cal for 5yrs. That's why I live in the country in the mid-west now. Get a BUNCH of people together and they have to tell ya how to live. All they got to do is ask: "Restoring?" so you can say "Yes" and leave you alone.
That's my soapbox 2c's worth!
:eek:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, my neighbors are really neat. Counting myself, three of use, on a street of about 36 houses, have older cars, 40s and up. It's the roving code enforcement types that give us all fits. I had a discussion with the City Attorney and he was upset when I told him the code enforcers had selective enforcement. He asked for specifics and I told him I had to take the fifth. But, to be honest, with the temp around 75 right now, I wouldn't be any place else, although I have to pay for it big time in cost of living:(

Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let's see, here. Opel GT & 3 Harleys stay under cover of the barn. All the other vehicles (F250,van, dump truck, Bobcat, tractor & RV) sit outside. Oh, yea, I forgot to mention 32 acres in the country. NO neighbors to complain. Well, at least not within earshot!!!
Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts