Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
first Opel

The first we had in the family was 72 Kadett Wagon auto, white/red interior. The first Opel I personally got was 70 GT with auto, silvery blue (not original)

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
BQS4, would you happen to have any pictures of that car? I am not decieded on a color for mine yet, and I was thinking silver.. but then it seemed to plain, then I thought of blue, but there are SO many different blues LOL

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Bought my first Opel, a Steinmetz-flared 1974 Ascona built by Carl Schneider from C & R, on Jan. 3rd, 1984.

Bob

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
First Opel

Learned to drive in my brother's 69 Kadett L wagon. First one I bought for myself was a beautiful 73 burgundy Manta Luxus with corduroy interior.

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
i got a manta 1.6S in 1976. miles better car than anything id had before for some reason i have not yet worked out i traded it for a fiat x1/9 a car so small i only just fit and had to drive with the top off if i wanted to see good(over the screen)
got my gt in 81 and had it ever since

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
1st Opel

Sparky;
If I do, it's a polaroid that will have to be scanned. I'll see if I can get it posted sometime this weekend.

·
Opeler
10 Posts
My first of many

I bought my first Opel in 1980. It was a 1970 Kadett L. That was the summer after my freshman year in college, and I needed a car. The Kadett was the cheapest car in the classifieds ($150). I've owned Opels ever since.

·
Super Moderator
3,178 Posts
First opel

I bought a brand new 1969 Opel Raylle then bought a brand new 1971 Opel GT... Man, that's a long time ago. Why did you have to remind me?

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I bought my first Opel in the summer of 2003 ;)

My family was introduced to Opels by my Uncle who was an engineer for Buick. His Skylark was being serviced so managment gave him a Kadette to drive and evaluate (several months before being available through the dealerships). After driving the car for a couple of weeks (the Skylark was fixed in a couple days), he had to give the car back. When asked what he thought of it, he replied "That car is going to put Buick out of business! I drove that car for more than a thousand miles and only filled the tank three times."

Shortly thereafter, my grandparents bought a Kadette, and my dad became the "Opel Guy" at the Buick dealership in NY where he was a mechanic (he was the only one with a metric wrench).

Another part of this story that is moderately amusing is that fell in love the GT completely indepedent of my family's history with the marque. What can I say, I'm addicted

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
It was 1981, I was two years retired from the USAF and I just got my Degree and an A & P license. I had to drive 30 miles one-way to my new job in my 71 Dodge van, not too economical. I liked the look of the GT, found one and bought it. A blue 71, that had the headlights screwed into the up position. First lesson, how to fix the headlight mechanism. Had that car for two years until I was #5 in a 10 car pileup on the freeway. Within a week while I was still recuperating, my Significant Other found my current GT, a 72. We drove out to look at it, it was in a pitiful state of tune, so I got $100 off the asking price and bought the car for less than the insurance company gave me for the 71.

Ron

·
Registered
456 Posts
My very first was a 73 Manta with 29,000 miles....that I got in 1976 from my grandfather. A 4 speed with A/C....a nice car that I had for several years, along with a 71 GT I bought in about 1980.

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
I got my first Opel in the summer of 1979, a 72 Manta Rallye with 135,000 on the clock. Kept that one for 9 months and then got a 74 Manta Luxus with a seized motor. Got a junkyard engine and we were on the road again. Kept that one for a few years until I spied a yellow 72 GT with a white interior in 1983. This was the first one I didn't tow home. It retired in '85 and brought back to life in '02. I've had this GT longer than I have known my wife. Luckly she loves the car almost as much as I do. :p

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
got my first GT november 7th of 2002. it was a metallic maroon, black interior, 1.9 4 speed 70 GT. have since got 6 others, sold three, and currently driving a 71 GT, white/blue stripe, 2.0, black inteior, 4 speed. bought this one september 26th of 2003.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
First found out about Opel's about 4 years ago. My mom had one back in the 80's, and for like 20 years it sat out behind out garage. When I started to like cars and get into them, I convinced her to let me pull it into the garage and work on it..which happened summer of 2002. Car was/is in REALLY bad shape and after taking out the interior it kind of just sat in the garage. I did a little engine work every now and then, but thats about it. Then summer of 2003 my dad seen a 73' white GT about 20 minutes from my house, and was going to pick it up for my mom as a parts car. Eventually he put it off too long, and the guy put the car back behind his house. Then in like september, my dad told me about it, and I finally convinced him to stop and talk to the guy, and he sold it to me! Minimal rust, complete car, with a parts car to go with it, hauled it home for 800 bucks. Been working on it about non-stop ever since I brought it home. I remember, the night I got it, I didnt get home till like Midnight, but that didnt stop me from going out in the garage, hooking up the fuel lines and battery, and getting to car to run, just so I can hear it :D
Now, here it is Mid-April.. and my car is finally almost complete. Loaded with a full body kit, and rust free! Now..only if I could decide on a color to paint it..since its getting done in about a week LOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
First Opel owned

I bought my first Opel GT in September 1978. It was a red "71 with 66,000 miles on it. I was still in high school when I located it. I was riding my bike in a neighborhood a few miles from my house and saw it parked in front of a house. The painted was a little oxidized but it was in good shape. It even had the ARA aftermarket air conditioning console; but later found that the AC was disconnected with no compressor. I wanted the car badly! There was no 'for sale' sign on it, but each day I rode by it, it looked like it had never been move. I got the nerve to walk up to the house one evening to ask the owner if it was for sale. Sure enough, it was! I bought the car for $850! I rebuilt it over the years and sold it in '89. I now haves plans to buy it back from the fella I originally sold it to! My love for Opel GT's will never cease!

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Traded a Vega (w/ a knock) in Corona, Ca. for a red rear-ended 71 GT. It's stripped down to bare metal waiting on my garage to be finished so I can weld on my home made butt plate and corners. Bought my white 70GT in 2003 on my 50th for $150. "******" should be done by Aug, I hope!

·
Opeler
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My First Opel

I got my first Opel in 1973 - It was a brand new 1973 Manta Ralle (see image) from the local Buick dealership. I was in high school and it ran and handled better than all of my friends cars including the muscle cars of that era, except for drag racing.

The first Opel in the family was a 1968 Opel Kadette Ralle and in 1970 we added an Opel Station Wagon. I really liked that wagon.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts