Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather Check

Well the temp is going down to -7°f tonight with a 20 MPH wind it's going to be pretty darn cold. Schools are closed tomorrow throughout Massachusetts. Can't remember when it's been this cold here. (and to think, GTJim's on bikini patrol...)

What's it like where you are?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Currently -9°f with 15 MPH wind. Tonights low is expected to be -17°f with 15 MPH wind. Brrrrrr...

-Travis

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
in nice southern cali today had a high of about 65 to 67 with a small wind about 1 to 2 mph by hte beaches, last weekend surf wus about 10 to 15 feet and pretty nice weather out side. tonights low is 54.

·
Super Moderator
5,923 Posts
Cold? You call that COLD???

Hey, that's a switch. It was +10 Celsius (about +50 Fahrenheit) here in Calgary today, and with only a gentle breeze. It's usually a howling wind when we get a Chinook. So, here's a lesson in climatology. A Chinook is a warm westerly wind, that comes over the mountains from the Pacific Ocean; the air is cooled and dried as it rises, and then warms up due to adiabatic compression as it descends to the plains. The term "Chinook" is an aboriginal (First Nations) term, roughly translated as "snow eater". The warm, dry air doesn't so much melt snow as it evaporates it.

And that about describes what little snow that is left in my yard. A big change from last week, when it was BLOODY cold here! Hey, the price of natural gas is down a bit. Turn up your furnaces!

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Pennsylvania is also getting hit!! Not as bad as MA or NH, but we were below 0 with -25 Wind chills. It is almost 9:00am and we are only at 8 degrees. Thank goodness for the wood burning stove:) It is the only time my wife lets me play with fire

·
1,973 Posts
-30F last night with the wind chill....they cancelled school 30 hours in advance....though they didnt cancel school yesterday when there was 5 inches of fresh snow that didnt get plowed until noon. 3 busses were in accidents the temp was also bad...
-10 was the all day high.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Here in Mid-Michigan it ranges from about 10 degree's in the day, to about 10 below at night. Last night there were like 20 mph gusts of wind. Pretty cold for where I live. Most of the time it don't get below 0!

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Re: Weather Check

Gary said:
Well the temp is going down to -7°f tonight with a 20 MPH wind it's going to be pretty darn cold. Schools are closed tomorrow throughout Massachusetts. Can't remember when it's been this cold here.
Ditto.

(I'm about 40 miles from where Gary is)

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Balmy Here!

Right now we are sitting at 20 above. That's downright balmy for this time of year. Up here, we just laugh at all you foks out there on the East coast. I saw that Boston was going to set a new record with 8 below. It is usually that temp or worse for over a month in North Dakota. Then we toss in some (alot!) from Canadian friends, (thanks alot Keith:rolleyes: ) and we frequently get 30-50 below and sometimes beyond that. I didn't even put on a jacket this morning.

Seriously, if you're out east, don't, and I repeat, don't take that wind chill for granted!!! It can freeze exposed skin in 10 seconds, not to mention kill you.

I highly recommend sittin back and watching the tele ( or reviewing old posts) with your favorite libation. Hot brandys are nice. So is hot chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps.:D

The reason snowmen are 3 balls is so you know it's not a real frozen person...they're two blobs!

·
648 Posts
Gee,

we hit 76 yesterday, but it did get down to 48 last night....BRRRRR

Jc

Southern by the Grace of God

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I wish you guys the best in the Northeast. It sure looks brutal. Our Temp is 43 right now and quite enjoyable.

I've been doing work around Houston area and it's funny to watch how they react to the temp dropping into the low 40's. You'd think the end of the world was coming. Of course, it's been low 60's to almost 70's the past couple of days.

·
Opelholic
36 Posts
Hey Gary,
Probably a good thing that I left Worchester on tuesday. 15 degrees F in Chicago.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
low 32 high 38 and rain snow poss tommorrow

sounds like your all catching the english affliction and talking about the weather
thought it was only us

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
GopelT said:
Hey Gary,
Probably a good thing that I left Worchester on tuesday. 15 degrees F in Chicago.
I wonder how many people on this board can pronounce Worchester correctly...

or Quahog

;)

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
we say whooster comes from having the original but i prefer yo samety sams version

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Or Peabody

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
is that what teenagers go through?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts