Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Yep, weather is pretty funny this year. This time of year our highs are usually around 25 with nasty wind chilss coming down the plains. I remember 10 yrs back, or so,we wind chills about -50. We're having fall weather now. Science fiction, ya think?

·
Opelholic
36 Posts
little Necks

Gary, I stopped in at the Sole Proprieter and met quite a few little necks. Great with horseraddish. Still can't get used to Wooooster.

Jim

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Being an outsider, but having to perform contract work in MA, at least I know how to pronounce "Haverhill" as "Havrall".

Down here in PA, we pronounce "Bethlehem" as "Bethlem" so you New Englanders won't be too noticable.:D

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Everyone was pretty close with Wooster. Most people I know are saying it "Woostah". We don't have much use for the lettah "R".

Littlenecks are clams of a specific size (less than 2 inches) and are normally boiled in a broth and served with a side dish of the broth and melted butter. Definitely an acquired taste.

Quahogs are a big East Coast clam. Pronounced "Co-hogs". The largest of these are called Chowdah Clams. The beautiful thing about these clams is that they are everywhere around here. A good afternoon of quahogging will yield enough for a large family gathering. We used to go out and bring a shucking knife and a bottle of Tabasco. Any that we pulled up that were too small, we'd shuck right there, splash of Tabasco and eat raw.

Anyone have any local lore from their own respective region?

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Three local items

1. "Jimmies" These are know as sprinkles everywhere else in the U.S. They are the little candie which you sprinkle over ice cream

2. "Spigot". This is the connection on your house to the hose. Faucets are only inside the house.

3. "Pony Bottle" 7-8 oz bottled beer. Very common with Rolling Rock.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
you forgot cherrystone clams

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
is that just milk for coffee ?
somebody just has too much time :D
ps files going in gary the rest look out soon lets just say speedster:confused:

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
6 of use away this week end to work as beeters on a haggis drive
you have to wait for snow to hunt them as the little beasties are to quick in the summer
thay are far more dangerous to hunt than any other thing in scotland (apart from glasweigen women[now they are tough beasties])
still (and yes theres one of them on the glen) there has to be someone brave enough or stupid enough to hunt the wild haggis(wild they are livid when you catch them)

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Spent the weekend on Lake of the Woods doing a little ice fishing. Saturday high was -20 with 40mph winds which puts the temps somewhere in the -60 range. The fish quit flopping in the air and hit the snow frozen. Good thing the whiskey was warm. Brrrrrrrr

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
So, that would put you in the vicinity of Warroad, MN? I have a summer cottage at Moose Lake Manitoba, just a few miles from Buffalo Bay on Lake of the Woods (on the road to Angle Inlet). Warroad is our favorite place to have dinner. The pickeral (Northern Walleye to some 'Mericans) and wild rice at the restaurant on the harbour is DELICIOUS!
And I agree with how cold it can get there. We spent a day at the cabin two winters ago (first time in 45 years) and the high was minus 30 C (minus 22 F). Yikes!

·
Opeler
94 Posts
lutefisk

I forgot about THIS ND delicacy:rolleyes:

Lutefisk. pronounced luteaahfisk.
ND has a high number of Norweigans. I'm about half and have tried this stuff. It is usually served in the winter frequently at church suppers with meatballs. Funny combination.

What it is:

You take a perfectly good piece of cod fish. Then it is boiled with lye. Nope I'm not kidding, lye. Techniques vary on this slightly but all use lye. Wallah...lutefisk.

Consistency is very similar to snot at most church suppers. Taste is also very similar to snot. However, I am told that this IS quite tastey when done on a small scale by somone who knows what they are doing.

Tis reveared by True Norweigans up here.
Most of the sane ones head for the hills at the mention of the word.

BTW Peppermint Schnapps is the libation of choice for most folks who ice fish in these parts. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
kwilford said:
So, that would put you in the vicinity of Warroad, MN? I have a summer cottage at Moose Lake Manitoba, just a few miles from Buffalo Bay on Lake of the Woods (on the road to Angle Inlet). Warroad is our favorite place to have dinner. The pickeral (Northern Walleye to some 'Mericans) and wild rice at the restaurant on the harbour is DELICIOUS!
And I agree with how cold it can get there. We spent a day at the cabin two winters ago (first time in 45 years) and the high was minus 30 C (minus 22 F). Yikes!
Um, that would be MERCUNS!
:cool:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts