Opel GT Forum banner

ZF Locking Differential with 3.67 Gear Set - Will it fit?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gsoares57 
#1 ·
Hello Gang,

I've been reading the posts and have done some research but it seems as though there is conflicting information on whether or not a 3.67 gear set will fit a ZF locking differential.

So my questions:

Did the ZF Locking Differentials fit only the 3.44 gear set?

If not, were there multiple ZF locking differential housings? or was only one housing unit manufactured?

The reason i'm asking is that i have a 3.67 gear set that i want to install in my 1972 Opel GT but want to be sure I'm purchasing the proper ZF locking differential.

Also, if anyone has a ZF locking differential, i want to buy it immediately - it needs to be in very good condition to excellent condition.

#2 ·
To answer your question...yes and no.

There are four differentials that were commonly once available for the 1971 and later rear axles (pre 1971 axles used a totally different LSD design).

40% LSD for 3.18/3.44 ratios
40% LSD for 3.67/3.89/4.22/4.30/4.75/5.13/5.28 ratios

75% LSD for 3.18/3.44 ratios
75% LSD for 3.67/3.89/4.22/4.30/4.75/5.13/5.28 ratios

Essentially you need to have the correct LSD for your application, that's all.

Alternatively, the 3.44 style LSD can be used with the 3.67 ratio IF you use a spacer ring between the LSD and the ring gear. I have a few of those spacer rings available if you needed one.

#3 ·
Hello,
Let's see if anyone can help me.
I have a GT with a 3.44 diferential ratio, and a manta a with a 3.67 diferential ratio. I want to put a LSD in both of them. I thought that I had to have a 004 tipe that were the only ones that fited there. But some time ago an american guy that had a 006 to sell told me, (and sent me photos of it) that the 006 would fit in a Manta A axle. Is this right? Does it fit in a GT axle too? As I can see, beside the corp of the LSD is bigger than the 004, the bearings of the 004 are close to the corp of the LSD while the ones of the 006 aren't.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.