Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,647 Posts
Enough foggers on that intake to kill 30 acres of mosquitoes... lol..
Is that a pressure switch tapped into the side of the intake?? Trigger for methanol??
Yup, adjustable Hobbs pressure switch.

This will trigger the water/methanol system, and that will in turn have a high pressure feed pump and return line run thru a rising rate pressure regulator so I can control water/methanol onset and increased pressure relative to boost pressure.

Reactions: kwschumm

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did a second rendition today, only slightly different than the previous one... Having issues when exporting as an stl file for 3d printing. Ony happens after the flange where it bolts to the plenum is added to the model. Weird.. Don't remember having this issue with the CAD old version...
Automotive design Automotive exhaust Serveware Electric blue Auto part
Automotive lighting Auto part Plastic Electric blue Fashion accessory

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Doing some test fitting. It's going to be close on the fuel rail. I won't have the injectors until next week so going to be at a bit of a standstill until then.
Printing the actual part now with the plenum flange on it. And if I get a chance later today I'll start modeling the plenum..
Anyways, pictures for your enjoyment.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Wood Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Water

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think it'll be good. Without the trans in the car and just a jack supporting the engine it sits tilted to the passenger side. So once that's back in there it should have even more room.. But if it ever broke a motor mount..... Fuel line routing will also be critical.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The ls3 injectors showed up today.
. They're so cute :) and give me alot more room..
Still waiting on the stupid transmission gasket :rolleyes:
Hopefully I'll be able to start the pattern making soon. Just want to get the trans back in and double check everything first...
Automotive tire Gas Automotive lighting Bumper Tread

Automotive tire Bumper Fender Gas Cloud

Electric blue Engineering Auto part Machine Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A turboed Ascona B with a 1mm overbored 2 liter engine that makes 356hp and 449Nm and runs 13,5 in the quartermile.

I don't know any specs other than that it has a shortened six cylinder manifold.

Something for those who worry about fuel consumption. A Rekord C Caravan with a 82hp and 168Nm Isuzu-made 17DT diesel engine from a Vectra A or B. Fit like a glove to the original column shifted four speed with an 18S bellhousing.
50MPG shouldn't be hard to achieve in a GT.
:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
turboed Ascona B with a 1mm overbored 2 liter engine that makes 356hp and 449Nm and runs 13,5 in the quartermile.
Very impressive numbers, would be very curious as to what all was done. The ET is off for those hp numbers by atleast 1 second. Could be traction or gearing or a soft driver.. lol

Haven't done much here, just modeling port locations...
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well... wiring clips for the injectors showed up today. Things are almost as big as the injectors themselves!!!
Fluid Plastic bottle Water bottle Gas Auto part

I've also been reading up on the microsquirt ecu. A couple of take aways, it can run staged injection, can provide data logging and digital dash through what they call shadow dash, and doesn't like a 60/2 trigger wheel at high rpm... but doesn't say what high rpm is.. pretty subjective on who you ask...
The staged injection is of real interest to me. Having such a low power engine to start with. Then using boost to triple horsepower switching injector sizes, and even fuels under high boost conditions is pretty alluring... I'll be keeping this in mind for sure!!
Didn't do much today, hot as hades outside. But started cutting patch panels from the 72 donor car.
I've been reluctant to cut on the 1970 parts car. I might be able to save it. Someone needs to come slap some sense into me !!!
Well, tomorrow is another cooler day :cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Still just putzing along. Still no replacement transmission gasket, they said sent me another one, but it never arrived. So I just ordered another one with a few other parts. Also pulled the trigger on the microsquirt ecu. Looking forward to playing with it.
Right now im trying to sort out the header. probably easier to just make a jig and weld it up than it is to cad model it, but why do things the easy way when you can torment yourself cad modeling weld el's with index marks on them to glue up to a 3d printed flange? I did find inexpensive weld el's at aceraceparts.com but the piece of stainless for the flange is going to be pricey, so Ill have to wait a couple of weeks before ordering all that stuff. In the mean time ill just be playing with the cad model. Also need to get out into the other shop and change the breakout boards on my mills so they're ready when I am.
This is going to be one tight package!! no wonder why I see so many people start a turbo build, and not finish..
Toy Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Electric blue

·
Super Moderator
14,647 Posts
This is going to be one tight package!! no wonder why I see so many people start a turbo build, and not finish..
View attachment 445099
Make sure you divide exhaust ports 2 & 3. Those ports flow more than 1 & 2, and by not having a divider they tend to run 200-300° hotter EGT’s.

Less chance of cracking or warping the head this way.

Reactions: DavidF1972

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Make sure you divide exhaust ports 2 & 3. Those ports flow more than 1 & 2, and by not having a divider they tend to run 200-300° hotter EGT’s.

Less chance of cracking or warping the head this way.
I've been looking and looking at those ports, we'll all the ports, trying to figure out if I need to do anything.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
And I did read up on the extra holes in the head gasket also...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok, rest of the parts came in so I can finally start putting things together and get it fired up and running with the webber. Looking forward to taking a test drive :D
Also got out and finished pulling the exhaust and drive shaft out from under the one parts car. I'll be picking rust out of x places all night long now...
. While I was out there I went ahead and pulled the spare motor from the other parts car. Definetly not rebuilt, but might have had the head freshened up. Hard to say. Going to put it on a stand and tear into it soon.
Hopefully I can get a few things done this weekend.
Plant Wood Botany Vegetation Watercourse

Automotive tire Wood Line Art Brick

21 - 39 of 39 Posts