Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the one from Winner last year for my '73 Manta and am very pleased with it. It fit perfectly, doesn't leak and looks high quality. Engine stays cool even when breaking in my new cam. The customer service is great too. There was a delay receiving the first one so I e-mailed them. They responded saying they would send another if I wished. I decided to wait a few more days before accepting the offer, they went ahead and sent it anyway. A few days later the first one arrived, then the second one came the following day. Later they sent a return ticket and I believe it went to their warehouse here in the states. So whoever ordered the next one probably didn't have a long wait.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I bought the one from Winner last year for my '73 Manta and am very pleased with it. It fit perfectly, doesn't leak and looks high quality. Engine stays cool even when breaking in my new cam. The customer service is great too. There was a delay receiving the first one so I e-mailed them. They responded saying they would send another if I wished. I decided to wait a few more days before accepting the offer, they went ahead and sent it anyway. A few days later the first one arrived, then the second one came the following day. Later they sent a return ticket and I believe it went to their warehouse here in the states. So whoever ordered the next one probably didn't have a long wait.
They do have outstanding customer service don’t they ! 👍

·
Registered
574 Posts
Are the ones from Winner real similar to the Honda ones? The mounts are correct but, for a Manta, I thought that they take some sort of alternate or revised upper radiator hose. Maybe from the GT?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wow Thank You all for the comments and pictures!
@ Axel +, your personal experience with Winner is much appreciated.

Update on Coolex:
I have been in communication with Coolex and sent them pictures of my original radiator.
They sent back pictures of a correct configuration replacement radiator with the bottom outlet in the correct place (side) and all correct mounting tabs. They do place the radiator fill in the center at top of tank. Has anyone had hood fit issues with the radiator fill in the center? Seems center would be better location but then again why did Opel put it where they did to begin with? Seem Coolex would modify this if needed, interesting.
Confirmed, original has bottom side exit hose and car is a manual.

If hood fit is not an issue I may go with the Coolex vs. Winner due to the # sold, recommended by OGTS, have a good reputation and are communicating.

Original Radiator:

Coolex Replacement (revised):

Thoughts / Comments?

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,991 Posts
Seems center would be better location but then again why did Opel put it where they did to begin with?
Easier to fill, if the hood opens to the front of the car and if the hood opens to the back in the center.

Confirmed, original has bottom side exit hose and car is a manual.
From what I know, European Opel radiators have the exit facing the engine on cars with manual transmissions and the ones that have the side exit were for automatic transmissions because of the ATF cooling radiator that was constructed under the radiator. Because the feed and return pipes from the auto trans were mounted left and right of the bottom part of the radiator so the big cooling exit would be in the way if it faced the engine.
It's a pity I can't find any photos

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
They do place the radiator fill in the center at top of tank. Has anyone had hood fit issues with the radiator fill in the center? Seems center would be better location but then again why did Opel put it where they did to begin with?
I am not sure anyone can tell you if they have had clearance issues as there may never have been a top cap rad made for these cars.

Here is pix of the fit in my Ascona, which is the same fit-up as the Manta A. I stuck my arm under the hood and took this with the hood still up 3-4" in the back. You can see the bracing under the front edge of the hood is getting close to where a center cap would go, and it will get another 1/2" or more closer with the hood fully closed. So the center cap in the Coolex pix could well be a problem; it's gonna be close. The stock rads had a depression in the center of the top tank, almost like Opel considered a top center cap but abandoned the idea.

Dropping the rad's position in the Manta/Ascona A is not a snap by any means, as the bottom biscuit mounts to a reinforcement on the front valence. I have dropped a rad maybe 1/4" by changing the biscuit.

BTW, just in case, don't let them drop the height of the top tank to make more clearance. They probably would shorten the core first but just know that the upper tank is also the expansion reservoir in these older systems without a coolant recovery setup.

Attachments

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
BTW.... Putting the fill down on the side has the benefit of not allowing you to overfill the top tank. That is necessary in an older type non-coolant recovery system; there has to be an air gap at the top of a certain size in that type of system. If you overfill it, then coolant just blows out the overflow tube as needed to force the necessary air gap in the top tank when cold.

Makes me wonder how Coolex has that top center neck set up... for a coolant recovery system? You ought to ask if you go with the the top cap. IIRC, I think that the cap is what changes between a coolant recovery system setup and one that is not, but I just can't recall 100% at the moment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Purchased the radiator from Winner Racing as suggested:

Discovered that the one from Coolex is for a Manta B.
Will report back only if any issues.
Thank you all for chiming in, I'm getting educated.
Looking forward to actually driving her for the first time.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts